Styling New leather gear stick gaiter

Currently reading:
Styling New leather gear stick gaiter

I just fitted this leather gear stick gaiter to my 2007 Panda, I've just bought the car and the old gaiter was in a very sorry state. Having read the other guides on here they all looked complicated and involved sewing etc as the original gearknob won't unscrew. I saw this one on ebay which has a velcro panel so that it can slip over the knob and doesn't require any stitching. It was very easy to fit, the worst part was removing the old gaiter with scissors. The new one is best fitted inside out with a cable tie (supplied) around the lift to reverse ring. It then fits with an elasticated band around the existing retaining ring and clips neatly into place. I used the other forum guides which helped to envisage the whole 'fitting inside out' problems before attempting it and I'm really pleased with the result. This one has blue double stitching to match the interior of the car, they also do it in red and white.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290937658930?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

And a photo of it fitted.......

Attachments

• 20131119_084700.jpg
    20131119_084700.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Looks good! Can you tell me how thick the leather is? I got a replacement for my panda that had really thick leather, looked like crap and did not fit properly. In the end I had to fit the old one back :(

Looks good! Can you tell me how thick the leather is? I got a replacement for my panda that had really thick leather, looked like crap and did not fit properly. In the end I had to fit the old one back :(

Hmmmmm.... that's a bit subjective. It was reasonably thick, but soft enough to be able to fold nicely where it needs to, if you know what I mean?

I took the cable tie off fitted a new one and reversed it so that it could be fitted inside out first, ie with the top turned over, which made a much better job than the first time I fitted it. Ie I removed the old gaiter, turned this one inside out and put the narrow end over the knob:)eek:;):rolleyes:). I then tightened the cable tie around the groove in the reversing ring and pulled the gaiter back over the gearstick, stretching it around the retaining ring before it clipped into place.

It didn't come with an elastic and the old one (which had broken) came off with the old gaiter, so I didn't refit it. I'm not sure what the function of the elastic is tbh as the reversing ring is spring loaded anyway?

The one I got was a copy of the original design , with all the stitching on the sides, and in combination with the thick leather, made fitting the retaining ring impossible. I was able to stretch it over the ring but it was unable to snap back into place.
I think the elastic is there so that you don't pinch the material when you select revers.

Back