General New(ish) Member - Marea Getting Older

Currently reading:
General New(ish) Member - Marea Getting Older

MickOD

Hi everyone, Mick here (y)

I originally posted this in the newbie section but was advised to post in this section to see if I could get any advise here.

I drive a 1999 metallic blue T-Reg Marea TD125 HLX, with grey leather interior, which I have had since new and love it.
It's getting on a bit in years now and though I have never had any bother with it (apart from a noisy wiper motor and a cracked fog lamp and windscreen), it's fuel comsumption drives me mad.
Maybe it's cos I always try to utilise all 124 horses it has under the bonnet....who knows!
Another thing which is driving me nuts is the fact the wing mirror mount's black plastic coating is coming away (see photo). Does anyone know how I can fix this apart from changing the mount?

Attachments

• 108_0894.JPG
    108_0894.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 20
:Offtopic:Also, as I am new here, how come this post doesn't show up on the New Posts link in the heading at the top of this page?
Or don't Mareas matter as most of the posts seem to be from boyracers in their Bravos/Bravas or whatever!!!??:Offtopic:

Last edited:
Get a can of matt black paint and spray it. Clean off the corrosion first with wet&dry paper or a scouring pad. Mask off around it and respray.
Job done.

Welcome! By reading this forum (both Marea and Bravo/Brava sections as these cars are triplets) you'll learn how to fix them wipers, replace a fog light, take your mirror apart to spray the base etc. Just use a search function or read through the posts.

As for the consumption - it got colder and if your thermostat is not working properly, you may be running cold which results in increased appetite.

Last edited:
what mpg are you getting?

this thread is showing in the recent threads list, it simply takes a few mins for the list to reflect changes, patience is a virtue. the marea section has the same priority as other sections. i think you'll find the bravo/a section is not full of boyracers, and as a marea owner it is a very valuable resource when searching for info releveant to mareas.

Last edited:
:Offtopic:Also, as I am new here, how come this post doesn't show up on the New Posts link in the heading at the top of this page?
Or don't Mareas matter as most of the posts seem to be from boyracers in their Bravos/Bravas or whatever!!!??:Offtopic:
I am no boyracer.

Bravo_Sean

I am no boyracer.

Bravo_Sean

Nor am i for that matter just because most of us drive hatchbacks i.e brava/o's and puntos and cinq/seis does not make us boyracer i think your comment was uncalled for! :mad:

Edit: By the way Sean i am not directing my comment at you, merely supporting your post (y)

Last edited:
I know you wasnt mate, I think people think just cause iv got a set of alloys etc etc im a boyracer, I cant afford to speed already having 6 points and one more means im banned, So at the mo im far from a boyracer.

Bravo_Sean

Thanks for the replies folks(y)

I firstly must apologise for my boyracer comment.....at least I got a bite though!!!!;)

I will count to ten the next time I get frustrated by IT and refrain from slagging anyone off on here. I know you're not all boy racers cos the majority of them drive saxos or 1.1 fiestas with add-on chrome bits and blue lights all over the place.....

Anyhoo, I will look into getting my wing mirror sorted soon.

I normally get around 35 mpg if I am lucky but I suppose if I started watching the revs when moving up through the gearbox I might get a bit more. I think my thermostat's working okay as my mpg has always been pretty naff.

What mpg do other Marea TD125 drivers out there get? (Not the weekender cos they are bound to be higher)

I normally get around 35 mpg if I am lucky but I suppose if I started watching the revs when moving up through the gearbox I might get a bit more. I think my thermostat's working okay as my mpg has always been pretty naff.

What mpg do other Marea TD125 drivers out there get? (Not the weekender cos they are bound to be higher)

35mpg from a 125bhp indirect injection diesel isn't bad. Think the 130 JTDs are mid 40s.

As for the bases of the mirrors - I would grab a set off ebay (cheap ones £10?) and have the bases powder coated (another £10?). Then swap your bases for the powder coated ones.

Then, have your bases powder coated - and sell them on ebay (£30) as reconditioned.

Guy at work with a 156 has just done that. They have exactly the same problem with the coating of the mirrors breaking down.

Its wery easy!!! I done it last weekend on my marea. Cost you about ten pounds (P60 sandpaper one sheet, one can of black aerosol paint) and a few hours job. I have the step by step picture guide, just haven`t got time to send it in, because I`m back to work now till saturday morning. I try to post it soon as I can...

Somebody knows where should I upload that pictures? Just send me a PM and I will send in the guide at saturday...
There are some stickies with "how to" guides but I think the mods decide on what goes there. You can upload them to an album in your photo gallery on here and link it from a post here yourself . Maybe the mods will create a how to from that?

Cheers! I found it... Luckily if we not so busy at work I can do this at friday nights :)
Or Saturday when I wake up but that`s the last time... I promise!

Back