Technical New engines!

Currently reading:
Technical New engines!

I immediately noticed a differencw in braking performance between ta and 1.4. For me the brakes are the most important part of a car!

You are confusing how grabby brakes are, with how good the brakes are.

When I got my 500, the OEM pads were as grabby as anything, the slightest touch on the brake pedal and the car was slowing down quite a bit. It was horrid, put some Brembo pads in and it still stops just as fast, but has more feel than before when it was like an on/off switch. The brakes on the TA will be fine.

You are confusing how grabby brakes are, with how good the brakes are.

When I got my 500, the OEM pads were as grabby as anything, the slightest touch on the brake pedal and the car was slowing down quite a bit. It was horrid, put some Brembo pads in and it still stops just as fast, but has more feel than before when it was like an on/off switch. The brakes on the TA will be fine.

You have a point but you cant say that the ta's brakes are as good as the 1.4s when the latter has bigger discs and ventilated ones at that.

You have a point but you cant say that the ta's brakes are as good as the 1.4s when the latter has bigger discs and ventilated ones at that.
How does that make the brakes automatically worse? :) Sure, a bigger disc will have more thermal capacity and ventilated discs will cool down quicker, but if a car doesn't actually need bigger brakes.......

How does that make the brakes automatically worse? :) Sure, a bigger disc will have more thermal capacity and ventilated discs will cool down quicker, but if a car doesn't actually need bigger brakes.......

I remember bgunn saying he overheated his front brakes on the ta as they werent ventilated.

I am sticking with my feeling that i really noticed the difference of braking potential between the ta and 1.4.

Agree with maxi. Feel is not necessarily related to outright performance.
And what I can tell you is that I experienced major brake fade on my 135i even with massive vented discs all round and four pot callipers. However no matter how hard I push it, I can't experience the same on the 500 TA. It's just not that fast or heavy. I think on the track it could maybe use some harder pads tho.

Last edited:
105bhp ta? Where do I sign :D

I have to agree with some of the other users in that the Abarth 595 competizione is expensive for what it is. If I was going to buy an abarth I'd get a basic abarth and then add a few things but I prefer the shape of thenorm al500 :)

I've tracked my TA and even the time keeper commented on how well it stoppped. The brakes were smoking at the end of it, but didn't fade. Could have just been manufacturing oils etc burning off (3000km on the clock), though there was definite brake smell.

I can't imagine getting them to fade on the street. Even if you do an emergency stop from 160km/h, by the time you accelerate back up to 160 to do it again, the brakes will have had plenty of time to cool.

Moreover, the 500 doesn't really need brakes at all, with 195's you can mostly turn in and just let the tyres scrub the speed off, if you use the brakes hard you won't have enough apex speed.

That's my experience of driving my 500 quickly as well. I've never cooked the brakes, but one particularly angry drive took the wheels from being so clean you could eat off them, to being quite black with brake dust :)

hahahah 4.2 l/100 km combined on the 105 ta? GOOD LUCK WITH THAT = )
If I got anything near 7.0l/100 km with that car I would be very happy as I get 8.0l/100 km minimum on my 1.4 NA!

UFI is now approaching 4000km, and with each tank getting 0.5l/100 better than the one before, just logged a 5.0l/100 tank. It's still a way off the 4.1 combined official, but on a fully run in engine (and without a passenger 90% of the time) it's not impossible. I use WOT to accelerate FWIW, the TA doesn't go into fuel enrichment mode at WOT so it's OK to do so. I hazard a guess that with the 'fours' that's not the case.

UFI is now approaching 4000km, and with each tank getting 0.5l/100 better than the one before, just logged a 5.0l/100 tank. It's still a way off the 4.1 combined official, but on a fully run in engine (and without a passenger 90% of the time) it's not impossible. I use WOT to accelerate FWIW, the TA doesn't go into fuel enrichment mode at WOT so it's OK to do so. I hazard a guess that with the 'fours' that's not the case.
what is WOT and FWIW? Sorry but I only know English = )

FWIW is probably for what it's worth, but as for WOT, I have no idea either.

I only speak English, and a couple of other languages reasonably well, but I don't speak text, which obviously matters these days. I'm old :cry:

However, if anyone at work communicates in acronyms, even by phone text, the message is returned with a request for clarification. Always. No errors that way :D

Come of folks, all car guys know WOT = Wide Open Throttle :D (full throttle, pedal to the metal etc).

Back