Technical my tipo faults

Currently reading:
Technical my tipo faults

dozerx

I just thought I would post a list of all of the faults I currently have in the hope that someone can help. So thanx in advance.

I have a k reg 1992 1.6L sx, when I got it there were about 50,000 miles on the clock and I have only done about 8000 in the year I have been driving it, I got it from my mum who had stopped driving it and it had just been sitting there for about 2 years not moving, and the only way I got it to start was getting some help pushing it up my drive and then down the big hill the other side. It failed its first mot for the shocks or something so I paid them to fix it and it passed, but my insurance and mot run out in October and im wondering if its worth fixing it or trying to get another car. Because I have just finished being a student so im out of work and penniless so cannot really afford a lot of work to it.

1) Rust on the driver’s side read door in 2 places along the window but I hear this is very common.

2) Front tyres are incorrectly aligned so the front tyres are bald on the curbside of the left wheel.

3) My car has a random squeak, it normally is there when cold starting but goes when the car it put under strain, the car starts to shake and then it stops. I think it is the alternator belt because that’s where it sounds like it’s coming from.

4) It won’t idle. I have to leave the choke out all the time and hold it out more than the first hold bit; it only idles properly at its first choke stop when the engine temperature is at 4 bars.

5) The rear wiper wont work at all, some times it used to work when I turned it on, but now its kaput.

6) The engine sounds like it has a misfire and the exhaust shakes all the time, which is a common sign of a misfire.

7) The passenger side key slot has been glued and is fixed half open.

8) I think the breaks are worn but I can’t check because not only is the wire from the pad to the cars cable split in 2 but the cars cable is also in 2 pieces

9) When ever I go over a bump there is a grinding squeak from a loose nut in the wing under the bonnet.

10) I think the curb is blocked because it runs like poo

11) There is a gaping hole in the exhaust hot air manifold or what ever it is; it looks like the metal has gotten to hot and crumbled in to itself.

12) One of the vacuum pipes has a split in it and keeps coming off so I lose half of the power in the car.

13) The ht leads are wrong so they rub against the battery and there are scorch marks in the plastic of the battery.

14) The plastic clip on the clutch pedal return spring is loos so there is extra travel in the pedal.

15) I think there is a power steering leak as of about 2 days ago. But it is now nearly empty and the car whines from the steering rack every time I turn the wheel.

16) And as of 2day my indicators have stopped working, when I looked at the fuses the hazard fuse was blown, but I have replaced it and all of the indicator fuses but still no luck, the hazards now work so I think something in the relay has gone wrong in the manual it is E2 on page 194.

rust isn't a problem on the doors as long as it's just surface rust and no holes

to get wheels aligned take it to kwik fit or similar for tracking.

is the squeak a really loud squeal usually accompanied by the smell of rubber? if so it needs looking at (if teeth are fine it can just be retensioned if not replaced for about a £5) easy DIY job.

adjust the idle screw to stop it stalling.

rear wiper isn't essential. mine only does a little bit at a time or works when stalk is held down as to spray it (spray doesn't work on mine though)

check spark plugs/ air filter etc could be something along those lines for misfire. could also be down to the air/fuel mixture

no idea about the lock, possibly get new one from scrap yard?

don't get what you mean with the wire split in two, though you can usually get a free brake inspection at places like kwik fit, just don't be taken for a ride (ie your discs are excessively worn and need replacing, make sure you see for yourself, remember they're free for a reason;) )

can you not tighten the loose nut?? what is it connected to?

buy a can of choke and carb cleaner and spray the carb all over, also put some redex in the fuel and take it out for a good run

??? hole in the manifold? that'd be very noisey, you sure its not the tube which brings hot air to the air filter?

find out how much vacuum pipe costs or try and fix with suitable tape?

seems slightly worrying if they are scorching the battery!! could try cable tieing them loosely away from battery though

again see how much to replace or improvise, try a carpet under the pedal for example

not much experience with this but just check hoses refill and see if you can source the leak

replace relay and see if makes difference

at the end of the day it seems you have a fair few problems. though you've got to balance that against the cost of a new car. and even with a new car you can't guarentee it's reliability. it sounds like you want to get a new car though.

Back