DSC00390.JPG

Cinquecento my cinq 1.4 16v project

Introduction

hi all i just wrote a huge thing about my project and it was pretty good but it just disappeared and am raging so instead of writing it all again im just gonna post pic's
engine is from a 2003 punto 1.4 16v, inlet manifold and alternator from 1.2 16v brava gear box from cinq and i still have to get the ecu and wiring loom and they will either be from the brava or punto mk1 1.2 16v.

cheers gregor

Looking good, though couldn't help but notice the picture of the engine mount and alternator belt.

We not only ground some of the mount off, if looking at your picture, sort of squaring it off but taking care as to not bring into question the integrity of the mount, and made a spacer to move the whole mount over slightly, doing this gives enough space to ensure the belt which at high rpm moves around alot (when engines are being developed its measured on test beds using time in motion cameras, they move way more than you can imagine). On our Sei never had any alternator belt failures in over 2 1/2 years of use.

You can make out our silver alloy spacer between the black engine mount and grey engine block.

IMAG0028.jpg

its all good that was one of the things i talked about in the big thing i wrote but as i said it all got deleted and i couldnt be bothered writing it again but i am in the middle of making a spacer and the mount has been grinded and it dones clear the belt and alternator the picture was just taken before i done it and i forgot to take a pic after i done it but mount is off just now as getting new rubber for it as it was old and cracked, where would the best place (cheapest) to get a mount rubber.

cheers gregor

Or just fit a diffetent alternator pulley and move the VR sensor a few cm's. Both perfectly viable soulutions :)

I'm curretnlt looking at moving my timing gear behind the flywheel anyway :D

It's not that simple as by moving the alternator pulley you then change where the belt runs, and that means it no longer lines up on the crank pulley, it should be 100% straight to ensure against uneven wear and premature failure, by making a simple 5mm spacer and grinding the mount you loose no integrity and do not change anything in terms of belt pitch, it all runs as Fiat intended, therefore service life not effected.

Not saying its not possible, of course it is, one could cost more in purchasing a pulley, maybe crank pulley don't know not done or seen need to do it, one costs nothing more than time and using an appropriate piece of alloy which we had to hand so cost nothing money wise.

As with most things there are always more than one way to do it which is what makes the forum a wealth of knowledge. :)

Back