Technical Multijet sporting Overheating. help please.

Currently reading:
Technical Multijet sporting Overheating. help please.

paulhdi

I've got an 06 plate 1.9 sporting, and last monday when coming home from a course, was coming up the valley on the dual carriageway the car began overheating. The temp guage started rising to the next mark after the half way point it normally stays at, and kept rising slowly as long as the car was driving under load. Foot of the throttle and the guage would slowly drop back down. It eventually got to the red and on the displal turn off engine showed. I stopped and checked the water, and it needed topping up. Topped it up with about 600ml and came home.

Took it to the local garage, and the mechanic stuck some liquid in that fills any leaks in the rad?? Water level has stayed the same since, but the car is still overheating.

After the car has been running for approx 15 min, the guage will start to rise slightly, and even under light driving, will stay high. Before the temp starts rising, i can hear the fan running after the car only beign driven for about 10 min. When the car is left to idle, the guage doesnt move at all. On a couple of occasions on the way home today after taking it for a little run it got to the red light and had to stop the car.

Been back to the mechanic and he said the possible issue could be with either the thermostat, the water pump, or maybe the radiator.

Has anyone got any ideas as to the more probable cause? The timing belt is being done early in the week, as it needs doing anyway, and I'm away with work so dont need the car. Are there specific symptoms for any of the items the mechanic suspects?

Any help is very gratefully appreciated.

Paul

So your still driving your car everyday with it overheating?!
Im guessing you have a leak in your coolant system (radiator most likely) as you say the rad weld kept the water in. You also probably have a cooked head and will need a new headgasket if your still using it while its like that! :(

no mate, it hasnt been driven since it went when the water dropped, only for a quick run down the road to see if the rad weld had worked, and made sure all levels were fine. while its like that it aint being driven. i may not be the brightest but i aint that stupid lol

Sounds like a head gasket issue, I had a Rover 416i where the temperature gauge would rise all the way, and had to replace the head gasket. Check your oil dipstick, if your oil is cream (as opposed to dark brown/black), it is a head gasket failure. Then again, you say you took the car to a garage and surely the mechanic must have checked that... You also say the car is no longer losing coolant, yet the temperature gauge keeps going up... If your radiator was faulty, you would need to fill up with coolant often, my mate's Panda was like that and in the end he replaced it. If your oil dipstick shows oil as per normal, I would take the car to a Fiat dealer for further investigation... Seeing you are in Wales, I can recommend an excellent dealer for you, PM me if you wish.

Sounds similar to my problem, driving down the motorway the other day and it started to rise pulled over checked fluid level it was nearly empty... Called the AA they came out filled the coolant and ran it for a about 20 mins and the coolant level didnt drop. Drove it to Fiat garage (approx 6 miles) Coolant level stayed at max. Fiat looked at it on Monday and decided I needed a new radiator. Should be picking it up tonight.

mine was losing coolant about 6months ago, at quite a rate! and then noticed white steam coming out the exhaust under full load. though omg, could be head gasket, but in the end it was the egr heat exchanger, its basically a part of the egr system, with a cooling jacket built around it, the jacket became porous, allowing coolant into the intake. was covered under warranty.

Back