Technical Multi is smokey and conking out! Any advice please?

Currently reading:
Technical Multi is smokey and conking out! Any advice please?

mark76dee

My wife's 53 multipla jtd elx has done 93k miles. Started to be a bit smokier than usual this week when the turbo comes in - grey smoke not white. It's always dipped power around 1900 revs but that appeared to get a bit more noticeable too. Yesterday I thought I had it in 3rd at a junction as I set off. Died on me at the crossroads! Pushed her to the side and managed to get it going again with quite a bit of smoke and oily deisely smell in protest! The alternator fault warning came on. This morning it started ok then died again after a few seconds with the same alternator warning light displayed. Engine turns on ignition but won't catch. grey smoke trickles lazily out the exhaust while trying. Is it the alternator? If the alternator is goosed why can the engine turn? Booked into the garage tomorrow but any ideas would be really welcome. This Multipla is REALLY a love-hate relationship!

Hi Mark,

grey smoke would usually indicate that the engine is burning oil (not diesel that has not been combusted, that is always white) it's possible that there may be a problem with the turbo passing a bit of oil into the inlet manifold. This can have drastic consequences if the engine gets oil vapour from the turbo as it will just start reving up uncontrollably and you will not be able to stop it. Have you checked the oil level? have you had to top up the oil and not know where it has gone?
Don't know why the alternator light has come on, it may just be coincidence. A failed alternator would not stop the engine turning or firing, just make it not charge the battery.

Justin

Thanks Justin, Oil level seems fine. Changed it only a month or so ago. Can't see any evidence of oil loss other than usual (?) small weeps around the block. One other thing I noticed while building revs slowly it was "spiking" up. Hard to describe but as if it was lurching upwards in steps. Revving hard didn't do this.

Just an update after getting this fixed. It might help anyone else searching threads? It was a sticky EGR valve with a faulty sensor so diagnostics didn't show the fault! Once replaced (approx £200) the car is hardly smoking at all unless under v heavy accelaration, and feels like it's gained approx 30bhp! Throttle response is sharper and all round it's a massive improvement. Every time I see a smokey diesel now I think "EGR valve"! Cheers! Mark

this don't cost anything but try disconnecting the cat converter to rule a blocked cat converter

Back