Technical Muffler support bracket interchangeability F/L vs R/126

Currently reading:
Technical Muffler support bracket interchangeability F/L vs R/126

Sprockett

The F/L muffler sits higher than the R/126 but I am wondering if the brackets that bolt to the block are interchangeable so that a system from one can be used on the other?

Attachments

• DF02542B-E936-423A-AE5B-C1415542EEAB.jpeg
    DF02542B-E936-423A-AE5B-C1415542EEAB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
The F/L muffler sits higher than the R/126 but I am wondering if the brackets that bolt to the block are interchangeable so that a system from one can be used on the other?

I don't think so; but I think the angle of the stud mounting in the block is also different, so maybe?. The 126 bracket is much heavier built. On balance I suspect you need to match the correct engine block, brackets and muffler.

I don't think so; but I think the angle of the stud mounting in the block is also different, so maybe?. The 126 bracket is much heavier built. On balance I suspect you need to match the correct engine block, brackets and muffler.
I have to agree with Peter---to the best of my knowledge, the brackets are not interchangeable. The exhaust 'down-pipe' shapes are slightly different; the 'Thermostat-housing' air outlet (into the car) are in different places, which is one reason why the exhausts are different

Understood. I believe I have ended ordering an F/L muffler for my 126a block. Debating now what to do. Does anyone have a picture of the block of a F/L in this area? Here is how my muffler is currently sitting in relation to the studs.

Attachments

• A99D9D0A-D502-4C36-9607-253BE9F19810.jpeg
    A99D9D0A-D502-4C36-9607-253BE9F19810.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
Understood. I believe I have ended ordering an F/L muffler for my 126a block. Debating now what to do. Does anyone have a picture of the block of a F/L in this area? Here is how my muffler is currently sitting in relation to the studs.

I don't think it will fit unless you use some serious heat on the pipes in a few plavces and do a lot of precision bending. I would cancel that order and get a 126 exhaust system and matching brackets. Do you have the 126 thermostat cowling?

Unfortunately, I ordered from the states and had delivered to Canada (expensive) paid duties and taxes etc and to ship it back and do it all over would probably nearly cost the exhaust all over.

Might still be the best option… I would still love to see a close-up pic of this area

Unfortunately, I ordered from the states and had delivered to Canada (expensive) paid duties and taxes etc and to ship it back and do it all over would probably nearly cost the exhaust all over.

Might still be the best option… I would still love to see a close-up pic of this area

It's late evening here. If nothing gets posted before then I will get some images together in the morning. Usefully, my current engine is a 594 with the later type housing and a 500 exhaust on (I think) 126 brackets. This was all fitted together by a previous and unknown owner of the engine. It's proof that it can be done and I will photograph the tweaks to the pipework for you.

After some head scratching when my new exhaust wouldn't fit, I realised my 500F was fitted with a set of 126 brackets and a 126 exhaust.

I had bought a new 500f exhaust, and against the 126 brackets, it was sitting very much like yours does in those pictures.

The 126 brackets didn't fit quite right against the 500f block, they wouldn't quite go flush against the block and I had to use some washers under them and grind a little off the brackets so they would fit. But regardless, with some those tweaks the 126 exhaust lined up fine.

With that in mind, I'd have thought that you stand half a chance of modifying a set of 500 brackets and they would line up with your exhaust much better than the 126 ones do?

Wait a minute...another fly in the ointment. Looking at your exhaust...it's the simpler, cylindrical version. I think one like that was fitted to some later 126 engines from Poland. You might be in modifying territory in any case. :(

Wait a minute...another fly in the ointment. Looking at your exhaust...it's the simpler, cylindrical version. I think one like that was fitted to some later 126 engines from Poland. You might be in modifying territory in any case. :(
The exhaust is an ANSA unit made for an F/L

The exhaust is an ANSA unit made for an F/L
It looks like the type made for the "N" and "D". It would obviously require yet a different set of exhaust brackets from the ones that I'm familiar with, even on an "F".
I would dispense completely with the regular brackets and make some from flat,, mild-steel bar.Once aligned you could then have strengthening gussets welded on as with the standard brackets in order to give some rigidity.

It looks like the type made for the "N" and "D". It would obviously require yet a different set of exhaust brackets from the ones that I'm familiar with, even on an "F".
I would dispense completely with the regular brackets and make some from flat,, mild-steel bar.Once aligned you could then have strengthening gussets welded on as with the standard brackets in order to give some rigidity.
That may end up being the way to go I agree. Would also mean that I would be have to start cutting up these brackets which would make going backwards impossible 👍

That part Ming says D/F/L for what’s it’s worth…

After a quick look, the shape of your muffler is significantly different then a stock 500 or 126 muffler. It seems to be a more sporty style "exhaust", whether or not it still uses the stock style brackets is a gamble. One suggestion. If you are willing and able to do some mild modifications. I would start by slotting the bolt holes in the stock bracket so that the bracket can slide up slightly. Then . Do a few passes of high temp exhaust wrap around the muffler where the clamps go. this should help support the muffler from below. even if the muffler doesnt fully fit the contour of the bracket. And heck, while in there, if you want to reduce engine bay temps. Wrap the exhaust manifold pipes with the exhaust wrap also. Will give it a sporty look and significantly cut down on engine bay temps.

After a quick look, the shape of your muffler is significantly different then a stock 500 or 126 muffler. It seems to be a more sporty style "exhaust", whether or not it still uses the stock style brackets is a gamble. One suggestion. If you are willing and able to do some mild modifications. I would start by slotting the bolt holes in the stock bracket so that the bracket can slide up slightly. Then . Do a few passes of high temp exhaust wrap around the muffler where the clamps go. this should help support the muffler from below. even if the muffler doesnt fully fit the contour of the bracket. And heck, while in there, if you want to reduce engine bay temps. Wrap the exhaust manifold pipes with the exhaust wrap also. Will give it a sporty look and significantly cut down on engine bay temps.
Thanks.

The ANSA exhaust I purchased has a muffler with an identical diameter to the exhaust I removed from the car that was supported by the OEM clamps.

Unfortunately, modifications will be much more involved that slotting the holes. The muffler sits a coupe inches vertically higher but the clamps both have no where to slide up without hitting the engine. The surface that holds the studs is at some angle.

Attachments

• 339EF665-29AE-499D-A431-CC81D30A079A.jpeg
    339EF665-29AE-499D-A431-CC81D30A079A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • BC5EE1FB-1A75-47A9-83EB-2325B464A4E1.jpeg
    BC5EE1FB-1A75-47A9-83EB-2325B464A4E1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
Thats unfortunate. Looks like you might have limited options. Either have a new exhaust bracket made, or lengthen the exhaust down runners to allow the resonator chamber to sit in the bracket.

Very odd that although the pipes are the same style, they dimensionally are different. The old one you had is definetly one of the sport style mufflers. Shame that its different.

Ya…the other exhaust internal baffling is falling apart or something. It makes terrible noises now that are not exhaust noises…more like rattling.

It is worth doing this with great care as any stress put on the exhaust when fitting will cause it to crack or come loose later.

In a way, it's a blessing that you may need to start making brackets from scratch. If they are custom-made they can be made to support the exhaust rather than force it into place.
Even stock brackets can be tricky to accurately fit with stock silencers.

Hi Sprockett, I've had the same problem, my hybrid engines are both fitted with 126A crankcases from the 126 not the 500R. One modified exhaust system (CSC Marmitte) fitted straight onto the engine with no problem, but an unknown 'sport' exhaust originally fitted to my engine had the rear downpipe cut to shorten it and the car engine bay butchered to allow the forward downpipe to fit. One set of clamps fitted, the new set for a 'sport' exhaust did not. Like yours they were miles out!!! So I had to carefully cut, bend and weld the offending brackets to fit - it's a great job for a weekend if you're lucky (maybe two). Because the brackets have some semblance of a curve you can cut and bend them to shape, an acceptable finish is dependant on how much of a faff you can withstand:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky: clean all the welds up with an angle grinder and a lick of paint and hey presto!!!!! or maybe send them back????
IMG_1640.JPG

Ian.IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1638.JPG

@Bleeding Knuckles thanks for the pics. My intention is to attempt to modify the longer R/126 supports I have to fit the shorter D/F/L exhaust I purchased. I have already confirmed it bolts up the engine just fine and only the supports are an issue.

I'll update on how I get on (y)

Back