General MOT advisorys

Currently reading:
General MOT advisorys

leeham987

Just got back from my MOT test and had the following advisorys:

1. offside rear position lamp slightly affected by the operation of another lamp

2. nearside rear radius arm slight play in the pin bearing

3. nearside front shock absorber had a slight misting of oil

4. offside front shock absorber has a light misting of oil

5. nearside rear shock absorber has a light misting of oil

6. nearside front brake hose slightly deterioated.

do i need to scrap it? or are these easy jobs to do? and are they cheap as im saving up for another car lol

Rear shock is easy enough to do, front shocks are bit more involved with needing clamps. Front brake hose should just be replace and re-bleed brakes. 1 i'm not sure with and 2 i'm not sure what the rear radius arm is. I wouldn't scrap a car even more so if you can do the work yourself. But if it has a new MOT on i wouldn't be too bothered.

1. offside rear position lamp slightly affected by the operation of another lamp= Earth fault, remove plugs, clean and use a little bearing grease

2. nearside rear radius arm slight play in the pin bearing = Where the radius arm (or where the wheel goes on) is moving, get a new arm from eurocarparts, not too expensive.

3. nearside front shock absorber had a slight misting of oil = Shocks leaking get a new one

4. offside front shock absorber has a light misting of oil = as number 3

5. nearside rear shock absorber has a light misting of oil = as number 3

6. nearside front brake hose slightly deterioated. = Get a new brake hose and bleed the system

As for the shocks, get all 4 done as they should be replaced in pairs.

Personaly I'd repair if your competent at doing it yourself or have a friend thats able to help.

All easy to do but take into a garage for front shocks, and maybe replace springs at the same time depending on condition.

Unless you have a spring compressor! In which case should be able to do yourself

But if you have never used a spring compressor, I strongly suggest you get it done professionally or have a competent mate with you. A flying road spring can kill - yes really.

These jobs are relatively easy just time is needed. The parts are also cheap as chips. If you don't feel to confident do take it to a garage, as changing a brake hose will result in fluid loss. You don't want to get any of that on any other part of the car (especially the brakes) as this is a health hazard and can cause accidents if not done properly. Same story with springs. I was doing a front strut from a van, using an impact gun to tighten the comperssors when one compressor slipped and it was flung in my direction at very high speed. It hit my leg and good grief did that hurt for weeks after....

A job that you can do without too much effort is the faulty tail light, which is caused by a dodgy earth. Take the light out, inspect for shorts and thoroughly clean the wires and contacts, then follow the earth wire back to where it bolts onto the car and clean that. Job done :)

Last edited:
But if you have never used a spring compressor, I strongly suggest you get it done professionally or have a competent mate with you. A flying road spring can kill - yes really.

They sure can. I almost lost a hand when a spring compressor failed. The spring went through the shop's corrugated roof and was found 2 streets over. If a spring compressor fails or slips while under tension it will easily break a leg. (and keep going.) They're unforgiving, and can kill!

do any of these need doing immediately? as bit strapped for cash at the moment

I would ignore every last one of them and get the MOT done somewhere else next time, chances are they won't mention them and if they do then you know you should perhaps do something about it.

I would ignore every last one of them and get the MOT done somewhere else next time, chances are they won't mention them and if they do then you know you should perhaps do something about it.

Ummm... what?

If it was an MoT station that was known to be bad, i might agree. But without knowing any more details on the MoT station/tester/the car/etc that's terrible advice.

Back