Technical Mk1 1.2 16v Sporting Irratic Idle

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 1.2 16v Sporting Irratic Idle

AaronH

Hey There!

I own a 1998 MK1 1.2 16v Sporting. Its my first car and im already having a few problems with it (n)

My punto has an irratic idle, ranging from around 600rpm-around 1500rpm. At times the car sounds like its about to cut out but then all of a sudden it'll spring back into life at a higher then usual idle, almost as if its trying to even itself out from being at such a low rpm :confused:

Also it has problems starting, it has had a new starter motor as the car wouldn't start at all and now it starts but it really struggles to get going, if i don't put my foot on the accellerator the car just cuts out when i let the ignition off :(

Any help would be greatly appriciated :D

Thanks!!

Hey There!

I own a 1998 MK1 1.2 16v Sporting. Its my first car and im already having a few problems with it (n)

My punto has an irratic idle, ranging from around 600rpm-around 1500rpm. At times the car sounds like its about to cut out but then all of a sudden it'll spring back into life at a higher then usual idle, almost as if its trying to even itself out from being at such a low rpm :confused:

Also it has problems starting, it has had a new starter motor as the car wouldn't start at all and now it starts but it really struggles to get going, if i don't put my foot on the accellerator the car just cuts out when i let the ignition off :(

Any help would be greatly appriciated :D

Thanks!!

maybe the carb needs adjusting i do know these cars have an auto clutch so when your car is about to cut out the auto clutch kicks in to stop it from doing that

Hi,my `97 Fiat Punto Sporting 16v has just come out of the garage after suffering the same problem,the alternater was on its way out.(y).Had a new one fitted and it runslike a dream.:D.

Back