Technical Mckcrich chip and TURBO

Currently reading:
Technical Mckcrich chip and TURBO

hudsonhenry

Does anybody here use the mckcrich chip with a VanAaken turbo, does the combination work well?

Nigel

nooo, not a good idea, the mckrich chip advances the ignition timing, and if anything you'll want it retarded (though if it was you i was talking at at ace then you'll be talking low boost at which point you dont really need to retard timing i wouldnt have thought or at least not much), last thing you want on a turbo though is pre-ignition which you'll get if you advance the ignition timing :eek:

Ummm

So is the ecu on your car totaly un touched? (the guy that I bought the VAD kit from thought it might have come with a chip but was not sure, but other people that I have spoken to say that it did not).

I am now thinking about fitting the SPI ecu, throttle body MF2 etc onto my engine while I get everything together to do a stand alone ECU controlled MPI job much later in the year.

Only problem is I need an ecu with the immobiliser disabled as the engine is in a much older car. Where can I get an unlocked chip? ecu?

Hi Nigel,

Got the MF2 manual photocopied to post tomorrow for you.

As you're looking to get the Mcritch chip so you have unlocked ECU, there is no harm in asking him just for a base chip that makes it unlocked and no immobiliser without the advance in timing.

I believe that Alex22 asked Van Aaken if they altered the ECU mapping as they are close to his house and they said they didn't. There was nothing at all in all the paperwork that I had from VAD to indicate that the chip was touched, in fact in Emma’s car the chip still has its Fiat grey melted plastic stuff holding the chip in place, though on mine it was missing and the ECU had def been opened at one point as the seal had been broken.

Aaron.

The early high boosts came with a superchip i think, well a superchip clone (long drawn out story, but this was part of the demise of the high boost kits supposedly, that was the more realistic one over reliability imo)

As Aaron said though, may be worth dropping mckrich a line see if he can do a uncoded standard chip :)

Thanks Aaron the photocopy is much appreciated, I owe you a beer. I have sent a PM to Mcritch about the unlocked chip, i'll see what he says.

Hi Nigel,

Got the MF2 manual photocopied to post tomorrow for you.

As you're looking to get the Mcritch chip so you have unlocked ECU, there is no harm in asking him just for a base chip that makes it unlocked and no immobiliser without the advance in timing.

I believe that Alex22 asked Van Aaken if they altered the ECU mapping as they are close to his house and they said they didn't. There was nothing at all in all the paperwork that I had from VAD to indicate that the chip was touched, in fact in Emma’s car the chip still has its Fiat grey melted plastic stuff holding the chip in place, though on mine it was missing and the ECU had def been opened at one point as the seal had been broken.

Aaron.

Mind you, the VAD literature (in Blue's build file) says:

The Electronic Management System has been reprogrammed to adjust the ignition timing to suit the requirements of the modified system and still run on 95 octane fuel.

To my mind, this can only mean that the ignition is retarded. But then, this is VAD we're talking about! It may all be ********!:yuck:

It could just be that it's possible to tweak the advance curve without cracking the ECU. I remember that just about everyone who raced a Ducati 888 (on Weber/Marelli ECU) had a little hand held gismo with which the fueling -- at least -- could be adjusted. It just plugged into the diagnostic socket.

But retarded is the way to go. Makes you want to go for an aftermarket ECU, doesn't it?

Got the MF2 manual photocopied to post tomorrow for you

But -- to save Aaron having to photocopy other ones, it is available on line here. There are those selling it for £5. ;)

Last edited:
The early high boosts came with a superchip i think, well a superchip clone (long drawn out story, but this was part of the demise of the high boost kits supposedly, that was the more realistic one over reliability imo)

As Aaron said though, may be worth dropping mckrich a line see if he can do a uncoded standard chip :)

Have heard this before, could be true or not and I think some people get confused because what the early ones did come with is a Superchip ABC device, which is a fuel cut defender, later replaced by the much smaller and neater VAD BDL Boost De-Limiter and it sits near the ECU and therefore could be mistaken for some sort of piggy back device.

All Superchip chips are labelled as such very clearly with serial number on them having had them in other cars many years ago. Superchip would also not do a chip for a turbo car without seeing it as there N/A chip would do what most other N/A chips do and advance timing sort fuelling out etc to match so not suitable for a turbo car.

My personal feeling on hi-boosts turbos, too many ran lean and died due to melting pistons and its a miracle any actually lasted at all seeing as Fiat have such a wide parameter of fuel pressure from 0.8bar to 1.2bar, you run 0.6bar boost and have a car running 0.8bar fuel pressure you end up with one very very lean car. And as the cars didn't have 2nd lambda probs welded on the down pipes to 100% accurate fuel setting son MF2 they would have been set up with hit and miss tail pipe gas analysers which would never give the correct figs. I know I had my car set to 100% on gain and all fuel pots and my car still ran lean tere was just not enough fuel being pumped into the car, the 2nd injector is rated on 3bar fuel pressure not the pressure Cento put out so fuel will have poor jet as well.

Just about every single hi-boost turbo that crops up cheap on ebay etc has some sort of knocking problem pointing to melted pistons and therefore running lean.

Even Gazzamans car with low boost on proper r/r was running lean above 4000rpm makes you wonder.

Nah new Emerald ECU with capabilities to run three different maps, have in car adjustable map switching, boost level changes etc for economy, fast road, all out track day 32 speed maps at 500rpm intervals.

Just writing this to wind up Arc for when he comes on :p

:devil:

MS does that and more for less than half the price though :p

u cant use a mckrich chip on the turbos i had one in mine 1st and gawd couldnt even put foot down without the car bouncing up and down the road lol even the 899cc ecu ran better on the turbo then the mckrich did, good for normal engines but turbo a big no no

get it set up on rolling road and then its fun fun fun, very quick to 0-60 :D

Back