General MAREA 2.0 HLX ABS Light remains on

Currently reading:
General MAREA 2.0 HLX ABS Light remains on

scribes

My 1997 Marea 2.0 HLX ABS light remains on. It has been like this since Feb this year and is now due for MOT. I had the CAMBELT changed early this year and the mechanic reckoned it is the ABS pump? I understand that it is an expensive part to replace. Is it worth it? Or could it be something else? Any ideas suggestions most welcome.:eek:

rather than a new thread i thought i'd pop it in here.

What causes the ABS light to come on?

while i was on Castle Combe as the weekend the ABS light came on while i was braking heavily into a chicane and the wheels locked up, maybe just me pressing too hard on the pedal? or pushing the car too hard?

Cheers,
Ry

rather than a new thread i thought i'd pop it in here.

What causes the ABS light to come on?

while i was on Castle Combe as the weekend the ABS light came on while i was braking heavily into a chicane and the wheels locked up, maybe just me pressing too hard on the pedal? or pushing the car too hard?

Cheers,
Ry

It comes on and remains on after ignition. Last month I was on holiday for 2 weeks and parked in an NCP car park for the 2 weeks, when I came back and drove it home the light didn't come on? Next day it was back as usual and has been ever since??

On the pump? I could get it off eper, but they'll be loads of different ones listed, have a look and see:

EPER

Thanks. I found two 71715592 & 71711453 - not sure which is the right one though? Looking at the diagram, reckon it is 71715592 can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
The reason the ABS unit fail is because Lucas has a bad design in this model.
There's two relays in the unit, one of them burns the contact surface because of lack of protection (RC filter is missing).
This results in the relay hangs, first periodically then permanently.
i replaced both relays in my unit, costs 50 pounds.
It's a pretty easy diy job if you can handle a soldering iron.

Michael

The reason the ABS unit fail is because Lucas has a bad design in this model.
There's two relays in the unit, one of them burns the contact surface because of lack of protection (RC filter is missing).
This results in the relay hangs, first periodically then permanently.
i replaced both relays in my unit, costs 50 pounds.
It's a pretty easy diy job if you can handle a soldering iron.

Michael
Thanks. Not mechanically or electrically minded, would a garage carry out this work? or anyone know who would be able to fix it.
I've seen the guide so could probably take that with me.:eek:
My car was bought in Belgium (R/H drive + full UK Spec), the ABS pump is a LUCAS part no. 00464415710. I'm having trouble finding a used one. Would the part number be different because the car was imported?

Last edited:

Just thought that I'd add my experience with the ABS. When I first got her, under heavy braking, my ABS light would come on and the wheel/s would also lock up. I put it down to the uneven road surface etc.

After inspecting the ABS teeth on the driveshafts, I found that one side had a broken ring and under certain conditions when the wheel was spun the teeth would stay still or only move for a second or so. So the system was confused maybe ??.

To me this would tell the ABS unit that this wheel had locked, while presumeably the other was still turning, maybe this is the problem ?.

Back