Technical Marea 1.6 Y Reg - irregular running, no power

Currently reading:
Technical Marea 1.6 Y Reg - irregular running, no power

plantman

Hi,

Please excuse any ignorance shown as I admit to not being mechanically minded hence the username!

I would just like some advice to add to that given by my garage. I ran the car for a few months after the exhaust end box fell off - I know, I know!! I won't do it again. It ran ok for that time until it started becoming irregular and had flat spots (ecu light on) and then virtually stopped. here I had a new exhaust fitted. Since this time it was ok at first but then again started, every so often to have the same problem and occassionally backfire. It is not all the time and at first seemed only to be when the petrol got low but now filling up does not seem to help. Has damp/water got into the system or is it more serious? Another strange thing, why does the ecu light come on only after returning via a channel ferry but not after sailing to France!
Thanks.

Can't anyone help?:bang:

Yesterday on motorway no problem, but as soon as we got to smaller roads ie lower speeds/lower gears she started playing up to the extent that I was doing 10mph in 1st and riding the clutch trying to kick it into 2nd quicker so we could go faster!

Today "lumpy' from ist thing with same problem then suddenly after 20mins of this I put the foot down and off she went!!! Has ANYONE any ideas! Have talked to my garage and recommend a visit to my local Fiat garage to diagnose the problem which means lots of dosh! Any suggestions please?:cry:

seriously consider going to your dealer for a diagnostic. this sounds like an intermittent sensor fault, but which one is guess work without a diagnostic.

i assume you've kept it well serviced and the sparkplugs and HT leads are in good condition?

on the mk2 1.6 models (your car) this type of problem is often due to a coil pack failure, which causes the car to run on 2 cylinders. the coil will often fail over time progressively getting worse and worse until the car runs purely on 2 cylinders which as you would imagine is lumpy as hell. when this happpens the engine managenent fault light will illuminate, and then switch off on occasions when the coil manages to work ok (such as when you get pull power). you could try a scrapyard coil to rule this out. that would be cheaper than going to your dealer (£10-20). but it is wasted money if it turns out to be something else. your choice :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, car now in local garage (heard uncomplmentary noises about my local Fiat garage! -also very expensive.) They have said the coil pack is cracked and needs replacing. They are quoting around 60.00 for a new coil, this sound ok? Appreciate any quick responses as picking it up later!!

The car has had its coil pack replaced as the old one was cracked, the diagnostic showed an ignition? problem. However, today it is running like it was before especially in 3rd/4th where there seems to be no power!!
Has anyone got any ideas, could it something simpler like plugs/ filter etc?
Any help greatly appreciated before I go completely bonkers!!:bang:

Back