General Manual key and the alarm

Currently reading:
General Manual key and the alarm

Davoid

Hi, like many I have only one remote key fob with buttons for my 2018 Ducato Camper conversion. I do have a mechanical key too tho, with no buttons, as backup. Today I thought I'd better check that it "worked" in case I ever lose the remote fob so ... the van was locked with key fob and when I opened the drivers door the alarm went off. I rushed in the house and switched it off by pressing the remote fob. Any advice please e.g. how do I switch the alarm off without the fob, if I can switch it off and continue to drive/lock it with the manual key will the alarm set itself again ..? Thank you.

Hi, like many I have only one remote key fob with buttons for my 2018 Ducato Camper conversion. I do have a mechanical key too tho, with no buttons, as backup. Today I thought I'd better check that it "worked" in case I ever lose the remote fob so ... the van was locked with key fob and when I opened the drivers door the alarm went off. I rushed in the house and switched it off by pressing the remote fob. Any advice please e.g. how do I switch the alarm off without the fob, if I can switch it off and continue to drive/lock it with the manual key will the alarm set itself again ..? Thank you.
With alarm set does opening the van with mechanical key and then starting van stop the alarm?
Not ideal but may be OK in an emergency.

You may well need to do a reprogram of the two keys. There is no clear reason for a key to become disorganised but in my experience its not unknown Its a simple operation that can be accomplsihed by MES ecu software. In the unlikely event that the non plip chipped key has failed for some reason a decent locksmiht will be able to provide another for under £50 with luck. I had a dealer order a remote under warranty because it wouldnt work. After weeks of plip keyswaiting they provided this and then promptly reprogrammed the fauiled ket for nothing leaving me with 3 remote keys! . The supposedly failed ket worked for several years until I sold the car!

Hi thanks for replying. I'll try the starting the engine thing first or maybe just switching on ignition? There must be a way to switch off alarm otherwise the spare key is pointless. Cheers.

what does the Fob look like?

Fiat in general don't fit alarms to most models, including vans and motor homes in general are usually converted after market. So it may be your alarm system is something that has been fitted aftermarket by the converter.

If this is the case there maybe no connection between the key and the fob and you'll always need a fob to deactivate the alarm.

The original installer/aftermarket alarm company should be able to provide a replacement spare fob. These are expensive vehicles so tend to be good aftermarket alarm systems such as Cobra, Scorpian, Clifford etc

There might be a brand on the remote

Hi it's a self conversion from a commercial panel van so I think it's all standard factory fittings. No brand on the remote key fob. It's got a button to release the metal key, 2 buttons to unlock either the front or back and 1 central locking button. The spare has no buttons.

My own thoughts are almost identical with those of @AndyRKett above. My PVC has an aftermarket alarm fitted, I would not expect to set the alarm with the fob, and then gain alarm free access with the physical key. My alarm fobs are separate from but on the same ring as the physical key. When one of the keys was missed subsequent to a burglary, I was able to obtain a matching alarm fob, and recode to match the other fob quite easily. The chipped key was more of a problem/expense.

If his system is similar to mine, I suggest as well as obtaining a second alarm fob, @Davoid also checks that his spare key is chipped, so as to be able to start the vehicle.

Hi all thanks for your thoughts. Just discovered that if the van is central locked with the remote key fob (alarm is auto set on) then when you open van with the mechanical key the alarm is switched off by putting key in ignition and turning it to "on", no need to start the van. That's a relief. 👍

Hi all thanks for your thoughts. Just discovered that if the van is central locked with the remote key fob (alarm is auto set on) then when you open van with the mechanical key the alarm is switched off by putting key in ignition and turning it to "on", no need to start the van. That's a relief. 👍
Yes, I was hoping that was what it was when I mentioned it at the beginning, as it being a van converted so standard type alarm, rather than aftermarket as in many Motorhomes.:)

I have carried out a similar test on my PVC, which has a non OEM alarm fitted. As I suspected, it did not work. Perhaps I may try pulling the alarm supply fuse, but that requires more preparation.

Back