Technical Maf

Currently reading:
Technical Maf

Helloo Bean

I Love Lamp
Hi all,

I replaced the MAF today cos lost alot of power with my car.

I put the new MAF in, I DIDNT unplug the battery or anything. I went for a test drive but the power is still gone.

If the MAF was faulty should I notice the difference immediately?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi all,

I replaced the MAF today cos lost alot of power with my car.

I put the new MAF in, I DIDNT unplug the battery or anything. I went for a test drive but the power is still gone.

If the MAF was faulty should I notice the difference immediately?

Thanks,

Ben

what made you think it was the maf? what are the syptoms?

what made you think it was the maf? what are the syptoms?

Symptoms are loss of power until the turbo kicks in (around 2400RPM), I out my foot down and it really slowly accelerates untill it reaches 2400 and then the car takes off fine.

I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the EGR valve, and now replaced the MAF.

One side of the MAF doesnt have the metal clip, its fastened with a cable tie, could this have any adverse effect?

Thanks,

Symptoms are loss of power until the turbo kicks in (around 2400RPM), I out my foot down and it really slowly accelerates untill it reaches 2400 and then the car takes off fine.

I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the EGR valve, and now replaced the MAF.

One side of the MAF doesnt have the metal clip, its fastened with a cable tie, could this have any adverse effect?

Thanks,

I can't see what engine you have (android site doesn't show signatures) but 2400rpm sounds a bit high for the boost to kick in. My t-jet is certainly well on boost by 2000rpm. Suggests some sort of turbo issue to me.

I can't see what engine you have (android site doesn't show signatures) but 2400rpm sounds a bit high for the boost to kick in. My t-jet is certainly well on boost by 2000rpm. Suggests some sort of turbo issue to me.

Hmm my turbo has always kicked in that high though since ive had it (18 months) and its a 1.9 mjet

Turbo diesels I have had in the past have always started boosting from 1500 to 1750rpm. Perhaps some other 1.9 owners can comment on what is normal.

mine kicks it below 2000rpm on my mjet, but i dont do that as it will fcik your clutch and gearbox, i would say your egr is faulty, mine did exact same thing and it had stuck open, causing lag to the max. cleaning wont fix it , you need to replace, unless you follow the guide about drilling the end and sorting the actuator or whatever its called

Is there anyway I can test if it is the EGR before buying one and fitting it?

take out one of the gaskets, get an empty coke can, cut out a template with the can of the gasket, therefore making a blank with no hole in it. make two hoiles for the bolts to go thru. job done, if car runs fine with it blanked(all be it with MIL light on ) then its the egr

When MAF's die, you loose power throughout. If you temporarily disconnect it, the ECU will assume a 'safe' figure and you'll find performance will be better.

If you just have excessive turbo 'lag', it'll be the EGR valve sticking open. If it isn't closing, you'll be able to see light through the other side if you remove it and shine a light in one end, or you can fill the chamber with fluid and see if it runs out the other end.

Thanks Matty and Danny for useful info, I will try and have a go at both of these at the weekend.

Back