Low Boost Turbo Q&A

Currently reading:
Low Boost Turbo Q&A

Hey everyone,
I know being the tuning section, every 3rd post has something to do with a turbo or something closely related and Im sorry for yet another turbo post. But over the last few months Ive been doing my research and theres only a few things that I need clearing up.

My idea: Pick up a relatively cheap car (main brands/popular brands where parts are easy to come by); Cinq/Sei, Pug 106/306, Saxo, Corsa 1.0 12v, ect ect....
Then work on building a low boost turbo system ( max about 6-8psi).

Affording the parts isnt a massive deal, I seem to recall IHI turbos from Diesel astras ect are on ebay for £100 - £250 and bar the exhaust system (and the point I need to ask about), the rest of the parts are relatively cheap.

The questions I need help with..

If low pressure turbo application was set up, would stock internals cope with the boost or would Decomp plate/pistons need to be installed?

I know more modern cars ECUs can usually handle the application of a turbo, but would aftermarket/Standalone managment need to be installed?

I had plenty of questions earlier, but now there not coming to mind :/

Any help would be appreciated :)

Tom

From your questions I will try my best as its not for a specific application:

6psi isn't all that much but ideally you will need control of the ignition angle in order to reduce the likelihood of detenation on standard compression. This can be done with standalone / piggy back etc.

AEM manufacture a Fuel and Ignition controller designed specifically for turbo conversions: http://www.aemelectronics.com/fuel-ignition-controller-universal-f-ic-6-626

I only have minimal experience with the AEM but it seemed to be very good and cheap :)

I know you weren't concerned about cost but I now work on the principal, what ever it costs to buy and fit -double it (as you can almost guarentee more parts will be required to fit etc)

I have carried out four turbo conversions now and built some of the highest power fiat turbo engines -its a good project and i look forward to updates.

Personally I would be tempted with a punto mk1 16v.

-Andy

From your questions I will try my best as its not for a specific application:

6psi isn't all that much but ideally you will need control of the ignition angle in order to reduce the likelihood of detenation on standard compression. This can be done with standalone / piggy back etc.

AEM manufacture a Fuel and Ignition controller designed specifically for turbo conversions: http://www.aemelectronics.com/fuel-ignition-controller-universal-f-ic-6-626

I only have minimal experience with the AEM but it seemed to be very good and cheap :)

I know you weren't concerned about cost but I now work on the principal, what ever it costs to buy and fit -double it (as you can almost guarentee more parts will be required to fit etc)

I have carried out four turbo conversions now and built some of the highest power fiat turbo engines -its a good project and i look forward to updates.

Personally I would be tempted with a punto mk1 16v.

-Andy

Thanks for the advice dude,
It more hyperthetical atm as money isnt a huge issue but its finding the space and time to do it.
Would love to see your panda 100hp conversion!
Will any of them being making it to Stanford this year?
Tom

P.s, just looked at your link for that AEM ignition controller and wouldnt it be cheaper to get a Megasquirt and get it custom mapped? I dont know if the AEM stuff is cheaper over here but $420 dollars?!

Last edited:
Back