General loose gear stick

Currently reading:
General loose gear stick

jojo1971

my gears are stuck in first gear and my stick is loose and only moving betwwen 1 and 2 with no effect

Seems you may have popped the linkage off, if you have some one handy take a look under the bonnet behind the battery while someone wiggles the gear stick and see if you can see the end of the cable moving about,

Once found push the gear stick to first and the end of the cable should line up roughly with the ball it needs to be poped back on to

Hope this helps

Yes, as said already it is most likely a linkage has popped off.
I have a picture of what they look like and where they are situated from when I did the input shaft bearing on my car recently, I will upload it here when I find it.

one of these two (the things with springs) has popped off
100_1117.JPG

they are located about under the battery tray towards the back of the engine bay
!note that on these pictures the battery tray is removed but with the battery still in you should be able to reach down to them!
100_1113.JPG

Last edited:
one of these two (the things with springs) has popped off
100_1117.JPG

Thanks for this post, it has helped!

My gears have just gone, but the two linkage arms with springs are still connected, they have not popped off, but the gear stick is still loose and not engaging any of the gears correctly.

I can move the top linkage arm left and right - with the gear stick moving and clicking into gear but the stick is still loose.

Any help greatly appreciated.

As its been wiggled - are the cables moving on the gearbox?

works case is the cables have snapped - and its a swap from a scrap vehicles to get you on the road cheap

Ziggy

Yes the cables move, and you can hear the gearstick click in to one of the gears, but there is no way of knowing which exact gear I am in. With the exception of reverse as that does not even go in.

This is my response from Punto How to:
"The cables break internally everything looks normal but there is no connection a replacement is easy but costly from the dealer's parts counter

Punto How To You'll need to identify which of the two cables have failed then read,the part number, which is printed in large lettering on the side of it"

I just to need to find out - somehow how to identify the one which has failed.

Last edited:
I have attached a link - one of the previous images from Raul, with an arrow indicating the joint head where I can move the cables and hear the linkage click in and out, but the two linkage arms are still connected. So must be something internal but just not sure what.

Think I will have to get a new cable, as indicated by Punto How to, but just need to know exactly which one it is?

sit someone in the car and get them to wiggle the gear stick from left to right, if you see the movement in the engine bay then get them to change between 1st and 2nd gear (forwards and backwards throw of the gear stick) which ever cable you see movement in then its the other cable which is knackered, alternatively you can pop the linkages off at the gearbox end and pull them out the one that comes out in your hand is the knackered one.

You should always listen to that Punto How To fellow he seems to know his stuff:D

sit someone in the car and get them to wiggle the gear stick from left to right, if you see the movement in the engine bay then get them to change between 1st and 2nd gear (forwards and backwards throw of the gear stick) which ever cable you see movement in then its the other cable which is knackered, alternatively you can pop the linkages off at the gearbox end and pull them out the one that comes out in your hand is the knackered one.

You should always listen to that Punto How To fellow he seems to know his stuff:D

...just had the quote back from the Fiat dealer here in France,
335 euros(!) for cable and labour, seems a slight case of daylight robbery!!
...when previous posts have said approximately £40!?

Back