Technical Location of coolant temperature sensor

Currently reading:
Technical Location of coolant temperature sensor

Orkney Laika

Hello

Newbie here. I have a 2001 camper based on a Ducato Maxi chassis with a 2.8JTD engine. I cant find the OBD port anywhere but am more interested in the location of the coolant temp sensor. When googling, it says it can be on the front or the side. A new one is blue and if I have correctly identified it the original is not.

I have attached a phot if I have got it right. Right hand side as you look in the bonnet just under the air pipes. Connection facing the radiator. Can you please confirm if I have got it right as all my previous campers have had spade connectors.

Thanks in advance

Neil

Attachments

• sensor.jpg
    sensor.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 585
Hello

Newbie here. I have a 2001 camper based on a Ducato Maxi chassis with a 2.8JTD engine. I cant find the OBD port anywhere but am more interested in the location of the coolant temp sensor. When googling, it says it can be on the front or the side. A new one is blue and if I have correctly identified it the original is not.

I have attached a phot if I have got it right. Right hand side as you look in the bonnet just under the air pipes. Connection facing the radiator. Can you please confirm if I have got it right as all my previous campers have had spade connectors.

Thanks in advance

Neil
Hi Neil,

Welcome to the forum.

Your vehicle will be based on an x230 Ducato, and I di not have precise details for that model. However my x244 2.8jtd, and has two coolant temoerature sensors. I suspect that yours is the same, as it is still a Sofim 8140.43s engine. One sensor is used by the ECU, which controls the cooling fans. The second sensor is used for the temperature gauge. This sensor also contains a thermostatic switch for a high temperature warning light.

Both sensors are in the thermostat housing area indicated by you, that is towards the vehicle LHS of the engine. The ECU sensor has two flat blades in line, whereas the gauge sensor has the blades at right angles.
As I am currently using my PVC, so do not have full info to hand, but I have found it helpful to search on Ebay. Dimensions are frequently included.

On the x230 the OBD port is not the 16 way OBD2 connector. The port is a three way connector near the air filter, with only two wires connected. Adapter leads are required. If you have ABS, then I understand that there will be a second connector near the fuse panel?
Perhaps a forum search will be helpful. I know that photos of both ports have been posted on earlier threads.

Thank you, you say LHS, is that nearside looking to the front or RHS as you look in the bay. Thanks

Thank you, all found. I know what I am doing now. On the 3l, the fuel gauge sensor has 2 male spade terminals and the fan sensor has a plastic housing with terminals hidden.

Thank you, all found. I know what I am doing now. On the 3l, the fuel gauge sensor has 2 male spade terminals and the fan sensor has a plastic housing with terminals hidden.
I thought that we were discussing temperature sensors on the 2.8jtd, or is the 3.0 multijet only mentioned as an example? I would expect that on both engines, the ECU coolant temperature sensor will in addition to controlling the cooling fans, control the injection timing advance when cold starting.

I thought that we were discussing temperature sensors on the 2.8jtd, or is the 3.0 multijet only mentioned as an example? I would expect that on both engines, the ECU coolant temperature sensor will in addition to controlling the cooling fans, control the injection timing advance when cold starting.
Hello we are, the 3L is the model of my Laika, which is the 2.8JTD base

Back