Technical Little Green LEDs and the Mystery of Light

Currently reading:
Technical Little Green LEDs and the Mystery of Light

CasaPaulo

I have a few small issues with lights
My fog light doesn't. I've checked the obvious at the back. I think Mr SS removed the fronts to adorn a yellow one, either way they ain't there or missed. The rear is a must for a MOT besides France was all foggy last week.
Does the interior switch trigger a relay thereby it's gentle a prod on, it glows then prod off? as opposed to a heavier clunk click, if so where is it?
Does the large red central 4 way flasher normally have a bright bulb in it? or the small dash warning suffice.
Do the electric window switchs normally glow green by LED at night.
Are the little Green LEDs sourced only at Fiat ?
Does the electric aerial have to be a Fiat item? would a aftermarket one do? and I suspect the B is prewired for one too
Thank you in advance.

Not quite sure if I understand your question, but.....

The fog light button pushes down and on release sort of clicks into the down position. You get a little light telling you it's on.

I assume you mean CT as you're in France :)

Thanks for trying but I'm not in France, I was and it was very foggy all day driving through most of it. I wanted a bright working rear fog light and it's a legal requirement. As for the Fog switch I want to know whether it triggers a relay or it's the interior switch that joins the cables powering the rear light. Bit academic since I've got to start investigating but it narrows my search for a cause of failure. I don't know whether the power window switchs are meant to glow since mine never have. Maybe they don't.

Hi,

Yes there is a relay in the passenger side footwell. I can't hear it click but it's next to (outboard of) the front fog light relay. which makes a loud click. stick your head where the passengers feet go and look up :eek:

Power window switches have the tiny green led's in them. from what i remember are soldered in position? may be available from maplin or similar electronics shop.

Not sure about the hazzard light switch. if its supposed to glow mine has gone too.

enjoy the fog... were in the middle of a sand storm :(

Ta ! awfully old chum
I traced the intermittent reverse light to a nylon loom joint in the boot rear valance behind no plate ish, it looked respectable probably never disturbed before but a wiggle broke the connection. The rear fog I think is the console switch. I bought a Maplin LED but the wire legs are too flimsy to insert fully home I'm sure they are a interference fit not soldered. I hear a buzz too as the hood lid is opened. I have progress. Good luck with the sand storm.

Ta ! awfully old chum
I traced the intermittent reverse light to a nylon loom joint in the boot rear valance behind no plate ish, it looked respectable probably never disturbed before but a wiggle broke the connection. The rear fog I think is the console switch. I bought a Maplin LED but the wire legs are too flimsy to insert fully home I'm sure they are a interference fit not soldered. I hear a buzz too as the hood lid is opened. I have progress. Good luck with the sand storm.

Did you check the fuse ? I know the front fog lights have a fuse under the dashboard above the passengers footwell.

Hi CasaPaulo, not sure that I follow everything in your post (just back from a few days in Dorset and the grey matter needs a jump start again!) but............the red warning button in the middle of the dash does not light up, just the indicator on the dash, fog could be a couple of things but the fuse is located above the passenger footwell as SF pointed out but I would look at the exposed wiring behind the rear bumper - probably corroded there, the window switches are illuminated (or should be) - not sure what you mean about the relay!

As for the 'leccy aerial you should be able to fit an after market one. Mine already had a 'leccy one fitted when I bought the car but its not a FIAT one, if you buy one try to get one with a small motor as there is not a huge amount of room under the rear wing...............hth

Thanks for all the replies.
I found the reversing light had a dodgy nylon connector contact in the boot behind the rear no plate.
The big red 4 way Flash doesn't light up so no faults there.
The window switchs do glow green when cleaned
The console 'dual' fog light switch had a 'melted' strip in the tiny circuit board and needs replacing.
The aerial can wait.
The new brake cables that the kind Mr LRB pointed me towards on Ebay @ £15 per pair have arrived (these are well cheap?) thanks again
More progress will be made when I'm off crutches. A Doc took a file to my right ankle bones this morning.

The window switchs do glow green when cleaned - :ROFLMAO:

The new brake cables that the kind Mr LRB pointed me towards on Ebay @ £15 per pair have arrived (these are well cheap?) thanks again - no problems, hit the thanks button ;)

More progress will be made when I'm off crutches. A Doc took a file to my right ankle bones this morning. - :eek: my Mum has just had a similar op on her shoulder today

How long was the warranty? did I extend it?

The rear fog died somewhere along the line early in my care, c'est la vie, not too terrible eh? It's amazing the response the car still has to folks wanting a joy ride?

I hope the gallivantin over the globe is going well. When and what is going to replace the yellow one?

Back