Technical Leaky gearbox seal

Currently reading:
Technical Leaky gearbox seal

cainy1989

4.5k for insurance :O
Sup dewds,

I have what appears to be a leaky gearbox seal, was topping my screen wash up when I noticed it, theres an amount of oil ontop of where the engine meets the box, only seems to be around the top section, any ideas on what could be the cause of the leak, and will it cause any major issues in regards to the box?

its not dripping down or pooling, just seems to be a small amount, will post some pics i have taken when I get in

car is a 1.4 90 btw :)

Cheers

all these leaky gearbox threads made me remember the pics ive been meaning to post :D
file_zps4a04faf5.jpg

file_zpsf5ffe2a4.jpg

file_zps7a6f48de.jpg

and some from the back side, couldnt really get under the car

file_zps677780cf.jpg

file_zps11a66b24.jpg

That looks very much like old stain marks OR a long term minute leak.

Migth not even be oil. Could have been clutch fluid that was spilt when bleeding the slave, a replace leaky slave etc. etc.

Get a clean rag or kitchen towel and wipe around and under the slave cylinder to see what comes off.

If that is all OK then take the car for a run (will need to be a fairly long run to get the gearbox warm) and then spray Gunk over the gearbox surfaces, leave to soak a while then hose off. OR you can clean up with Brake Cleaner Fluid (which won't damage plastics and rubber).

Once all dry, sprinkle talc powder over the gearbox surfaces. Any oil/fluid leaks will be far easier to trace as the lovely white powder will immediately show the source(s) quit quickly after a few hours / days driving.

From your pictures I would say you have nothing to really worry about.

will give the above ago, its going on an 800mile drive to cork next week, so that should test the lil Fiat, im feeling a new love for the car again for some reason, leak did seem a bit odd as its only on top so its not running down and under the car, theres nothing in the history to indicate a slave cylinder repair, but then it could be due to that being fixed under the warranty before I bought the car, I cant say ive noticed any loss of brake fluid, id imagine if the slave cylinder is leaking the level would drop?

Back