Technical Lack of power...is it in my head?

Currently reading:
Technical Lack of power...is it in my head?

Nothing wrong with supermarket fuels, if it wasn't for them we would be paying far too much now. :)

This definitely isn't the case in the Southampton area. The supermarkets are more expensive than the majority of Esso garages and some Shell garages. Even ASDA is often more than the local Esso garages. As for the local Tesco Superstore you will be paying at least 3p per litre more. In fact at the moment it is £1.389 at the nearest Esso, £1.429 at the Tesco Superstore - I would rather not have the clubcard points thanks Tesco!

I have been asked a number of times whether I run my car on supermarket fuel when dealing with garages and breakdown people. When I say No they have always said good, don't use it. It is as if it is a question they have on their checklist.

I have only once filled up at ASDA and the engine sounded like a washing machine full of spanners. It was harsh and not the same drive at all. I also noticed an increase in fuel consumption - based upon my same daily drive and the same speeds and pretty much always the same road conditions - light traffic. I can usually always manage 320 miles on half a tank exactly (confirmed by the number of litres I put in at the pump), but it was at least 7-10 litres more on the ASDA stuff. To me this is proof enough especially as there is no money to be saved in this area by buying there. To me this says that the marketing, although exaggerated has truth in it - the different retailers must use different mixtures of additives in their fuel.

Last edited:
Back