Labour Costs at the garage

Currently reading:
Labour Costs at the garage

mintys24-7

Hi all,

Was just wondering how much you all pay per hour for labour at your garage (those of us who can't or can't be bothered to do it ourselves!)?

I pay £60 an hour, in the Reading area (outskirts of London) is that cheap?

Thanks

Would have thought the going rate for a franchise dealer is about £60 and for a non franchise £40 - 45.

What gets me is the price charged by the 'quality' german brands. Their techy's do the same apprenticeships as others, their business rates are about the same as any other garage in the local area and their staff rates are probably about the same, so why do so many numpties quietly accept paying so much more in hourly rates? By the way, I believe the comapany car driver doesn't quibble because he doesn't pay the bill and leased cars aren't going to quibble because the lease company often negotiates a special rate that I suspect isn't particularly profitable for the garage. Perhaps 'T' the oracle can put us right

Would have thought the going rate for a franchise dealer is about £60 and for a non franchise £40 - 45.

What gets me is the price charged by the 'quality' german brands. Their techy's do the same apprenticeships as others, their business rates are about the same as any other garage in the local area and their staff rates are probably about the same, so why do so many numpties quietly accept paying so much more in hourly rates? By the way, I believe the comapany car driver doesn't quibble because he doesn't pay the bill and leased cars aren't going to quibble because the lease company often negotiates a special rate that I suspect isn't particularly profitable for the garage. Perhaps 'T' the oracle can put us right

one of my dealers is £86 per hour, but very good, my small local fiat dealer is about the same as my friendly local garage, between 40-60 per hour, all three do different things for me,and i trust them with different things(y)

Perhaps 'T' the oracle can put us right

avatar is actually a 'necromancer' but we wont split hairs;)...anyway here goes!

My nearest dealer charges £50 or £40 for cars over 5 years old.

Techs are human & have to pay bills/mortgages etc, they go where the money is so that tech in fiat overalls might of been working at BMW the week before? who knows the background of any technician.. end of the day you pay your money & you expect a proper job done. Unfortunally you dont know (unless you speak to the tech) who has worked on your car at a dealership... bit like where you council tax money goes:mad:

ive a mate who owns his own garage and he charged me 40,was shocked really as i bet it only took him about half hour to the do the work.But i dropped it off at 9 and picked it up at 1,so cant really moan i suppsoe..i been told the local going rate nowadays is about 45 per hour..im in blackpoool (northwest)

yeah but no one moans about that as much as they do for paying for work on their car, and the car work can often save your life, strange world isnt it

Going to the dentist saved me my life. She spotted a growth in my throat, and she arranged a hospital appointment for me. Sorry you find it a strange world.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Its amazing to know that you'll have to pay hourly. And that is indeed a big amount.
60 Pounds converts t0 almost Rs. 5000.00.
We pay according to the job, no matter how much time it takes.
Recently got the alternator changed for my Palio 1.6 Gtx at the FIAT workshop (not a local one). The cost of the alternator come to Rs. 12000.00 (150 Pounds) and Labour Rs. 1000.00 (12 pounds approximately). Its lot cheaper in pounds, though in Rupees, its still expensive when compared to the other Car Manufacturers Labour charges.
I remember when I had taken my Hyundai for changing the Fan motor and the fan + got the window motor replaced. The total labour charged was 3 Pounds. Amazing!

I forgot to add that the taxes that we pay sometimes are more than the labour charges paid !

Last edited:
Back