General Knocking noise on my fiat tipo 2017

Currently reading:
General Knocking noise on my fiat tipo 2017

Ryancartmell123456

Please take time to read as this is long as I wanted to put as much information in as possible. I’m praying someone on here can help me as I am loosing my mind trying to solve the problem with my car.

I have a fiat tipo easy 1.4 petrol 2017 done 63k miles with a knocking noise when pulling off but won’t knock if pulling off fast only when slow and breaking and sometimes when slowing down and driving a low speeds, this mainly happens when the car is at temperature and been driven for 15/20 mins I’ve not heard it when cold.

This started about 6/7 months ago and I didn’t think anything of it at first just thought the plastic rim may of been loose or something as it wasn’t happening every time, as time gone on it’s getting worse and louder,

I am starting to get so fustrated with this problem, this sounds abit excessive but I have taken it to 7/8 different garages/ people some have looked at it multiple times but have all given me different answers, only 2 of which have told me they can hear it but cannot find it,

The answers I have been given are following

Drive shaft
Top mount
Cv joint
Shock
Drop link (replaced)
Knuckle (replaced
Engine mount
Steering rack companion arm ( I believe this is what they called it)
Was also told it could be the gear box

When taken to the next garage I mentioned what the other garages have mentioned and they said there was nothing wrong with any of it and gave me another answer from the above list

As mentioned at the top the car makes a knocking noise when pulling off slowly/normally and when braking It doesn’t knock when pulling off fast (unless I can’t hear it due to the high revving engine) only happens when engine is hot and been driven for 15/20 mins it doesn’t knock when hitting a pot hole or bump hard, it has knocked when sat in traffic and I’ve been moving the steering wheel,

I believe it’s coming from the drivers side but sometime I feel like it’s on the passenger but I know sound can travel and make you think it’s coming from somewhere else.

I am running out of ideas on what to do and where to go next I have tried to complain to my finance company for a faulty car I got rejected cos I couldn’t give them a proper answer of what the problem is, I have took it back to where I have brought it from they are willing to part ex it but they couldn’t offer me enough to pay my remainding finance off so I’m kind of stuck with the car and this issue

Thanks for reading fingers crossed someone may of had a similar problem and can help me resolve this

Have you tried pulling off with the handbrake on tight to see if you can get it to knock on the spot, try both in forwards and reverse. If you can make it do it someone standing outside might be able to localize the noise better, possibly even with the bonnet up. I’d be tempted to say gearbox mount of some description

You've had 7/8 opinions on this problem, so clearly you don't have a problem that is a danger to yourself driving the car, or else one of these would have told you stop driving.

The posters on here have less information than the people who have seen the car so you are unlikely to get a clearer answer, despite our best efforts.

You just need to drive this car until the problem makes itself known.

I'm sorry this isn't the information you were looking for, but sometimes you just have to wait until a car breaks down.

You've had 7/8 opinions on this problem, so clearly you don't have a problem that is a danger to yourself driving the car, or else one of these would have told you stop driving.

The posters on here have less information than the people who have seen the car so you are unlikely to get a clearer answer, despite our best efforts.

You just need to drive this car until the problem makes itself known.

I'm sorry this isn't the information you were looking for, but sometimes you just have to wait until a car breaks down.
I think the op is only after suggestions of things to check as he’s at his wits end, I know how annoying random knocks and bangs are which can ruin the driving experience of an otherwise decent car. You never know someone might hit the nail on the head and solve the problem. That to me is what these forums are about 🙂 As for waiting until a car breaks down before fixing it………..not for me thanks!

I think the op is only after suggestions of things to check as he’s at his wits end, I know how annoying random knocks and bangs are which can ruin the driving experience of an otherwise decent car. You never know someone might hit the nail on the head and solve the problem. That to me is what these forums are about 🙂 As for waiting until a car breaks down before fixing it………..not for me thanks!
I agree with this totally! I have so many twangs, pings or noises in my cars that if i had to stop driving for those I'd never be in any of my cars lol

Couldn’t have said this better myself! I’m just putting feelers out someone else may of have the same or similar problem as all these mechanics can’t find the issue and I am growing seriously fustrated with it but I think the other comment is correct I am going to have to keep driving it till it fully breaks or makes a appearance as irritating that is going to be I’m just gonna have to live with it

Have you tried pulling off with the handbrake on tight to see if you can get it to knock on the spot, try both in forwards and reverse. If you can make it do it someone standing outside might be able to localize the noise better, possibly even with the bonnet up. I’d be tempted to say gearbox mount of some description
Yes mate I have tried everything even paid for someone to go through everything and tighten every bolt up and he said he cannot find where the knocking is coming from. I’m running out of ideas this forum is kind off a desperate call sort of hoping someone has had a similar or same problem with this model of vehicle

Something new for the mix: Crankshaft harmonic damper. This is actually a two part crankshaft pulley with a elastomeric moulding between them. They can break up causing knocking.
A simple test is with the car stationary and out of gear, very slowly increase the engine speed and see if you can induce the knocking. Slightly decreasing and increasing the engine speed may induce the knocking too. We are not talking about "revving" the engine here, just taking it a few hundred RPM above idle.
These dampers used to be mostly used on diesel engines but have become more common on petrol engines as the allow for a lighter crankshaft. As far as I can tell the 1.4 petrol has one fitted.

Robert.

Hi, I got a knocking sound camming from passengers side of my Tipo. Initially hard to identify the source. Then one day I was cleaning/removing foot mats and noticed that under passenger front seat a plastic el. wire connector got loose from its holder, dangling and occasionally banging seat's frame. Silly thing I clicked it back, no knocking since.

Last edited:
Back