Technical Jacking points

Currently reading:
Technical Jacking points

Where is the best place to jack and support the rear end of a tipo? I am removing the rear subframe can't use that as a jacking point or support for axle stands. I had a look under the car and could not see any defined jacking points like at the front of the car. The haynes manual is next to useless with its advice. Any advice appreciated thanks.

Where is the best place to jack and support the rear end of a tipo? I am removing the rear subframe can't use that as a jacking point or support for axle stands. I had a look under the car and could not see any defined jacking points like at the front of the car. The haynes manual is next to useless with its advice. Any advice appreciated thanks.

Haynes = useless :rolleyes:

If you're still looking for answer, let me know,
I'll look through my info,
pretty sure it's the sill in front of rear arch by 125mm

Charlie

Thanks for the help Charlie. That figure of 125mm sounds kind of familiar from when I was driving tipos everyday many years ago! I will have a good poke around underneath the car tomorrow and check how solid the rear end of the sills are. I don't fancy clambering around under stands propping up crusty steel.

Well after closer examination I found the jacking points, and it seems a recurring theme with this car is rust and lots of it! The nearside rear jacking point looks fine but the offside rear is pretty crusty, not much of a surprise. The position to place the block of timber at the rear of the spare wheel well looks pretty grim too.. looks like I better invest in plenty of gas and welding wire for the mig welder!
top left photo is the good n/s/r jacking point, top right is the rather crusty o/s/r point. It seems fiats well intentioned plastic wheelarch covers and pipe covers created some lovely moisture traps for rust.. bottom picture is the rear of the spare wheel well.

Attachments

• tipo 01st july 2013 009.JPG
    tipo 01st july 2013 009.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • tipo 01st july 2013 007.JPG
    tipo 01st july 2013 007.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • tipo 01st july 2013 011.JPG
    tipo 01st july 2013 011.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Stephen, your project takes me back to 1988, when I decided to restore a "Bitsa" Beetle I had built and used for a few years and had already dedicated much time, TLC and cash in.
I finished one side completely and began work on the other, only to find it was twice as bad.
After much consideration, I decided the wisest move would be to donate it to a friend who collected scrap metal, then find a more worthwhile project to throw money at.

Stephen, your project takes me back to 1988, when I decided to restore a "Bitsa" Beetle I had built and used for a few years and had already dedicated much time, TLC and cash in.
I finished one side completely and began work on the other, only to find it was twice as bad.
After much consideration, I decided the wisest move would be to donate it to a friend who collected scrap metal, then find a more worthwhile project to throw money at.

I appreciate the sentiment but if we were all to adopt that attitude in our less sunnier climate's then there would be no tipo's or many other older cars left! Its well and good for you with the sun beaming down on your shoulders but I don't need negativity.. and besides I am merely highlighting the worst rust on the car in my photos, for the 15% rust visible there is 85% good steel. Welding wire, gas and time are cheap so I don't think I'll be shipping the tipo off to the scrappers just yet..

I appreciate the sentiment but if we were all to adopt that attitude in our less sunnier climate's then there would be no tipo's or many other older cars left! Its well and good for you with the sun beaming down on your shoulders but I don't need negativity.. and besides I am merely highlighting the worst rust on the car in my photos, for the 15% rust visible there is 85% good steel. Welding wire, gas and time are cheap so I don't think I'll be shipping the tipo off to the scrappers just yet..

I appreciate BOTH sides points there,;)

being a lover of Tipo's what model is it..??, :confused:

Charlie

I appreciate BOTH sides points there,;)

being a lover of Tipo's what model is it..??, :confused:

Charlie

It's a 1.7 diesel, a rare enough tipo these days. Surely worth saving? It's ironic that I have a 1991 tipo I got for parts and the underside is immaculate compared to this one! Sadly I have no documentation for it and the roof is very dented.

1.7D = nice, (y)

I had 4 x 1.9TD's, FAR nicer than my old 1.4's,

didn't have any body-rot issues due to the galvanising (y)
BUT rusty rim leaks were a bug-bear and had a few front subframes rot-through too..!! - the "good-old days" eh..:rolleyes:

personally I would use the jacking points as much as possible, using plates to spread the load as much as possible too,
then position your spare wheels as far back as possible under the sills/ floor area,
IF the worst happens the weight of the engine+ box will keep the front heavy and the back will still be UP on the spare wheels / remaining axle-stand,

Charlie

Back