Technical Internal door lock rods and rubber nubbins

Currently reading:
Technical Internal door lock rods and rubber nubbins

Hi there,

I've recently bought an Uno and a previous owner has removed the internal door lock rods and rubber nubbins that you pull up and down. In their place are central locking actuators, which may be original or not, but don't work. I understand the central locking controller should be in the driver's footwell or under the dash or round there anyway, but there's not sign of it. To lock and unlock the rear doors, I've had to remove the door cards!

I've been looking into making my own rods but there's nothing quite like having the originals. I was wondering if anybody here had a set for a five door? Basically, I need the bit that pokes through the top of the door down to the assembly that moves the horizontal rod left and right to lock and unlock the door. Ideally, I'd be after the grommets and rubber tips of the rods.

Thanks,

Steve

Well, I've had many a good search on the internet and found all the parts I need. The front rods arrived, and three grommets, so I had working from door locks again. I have a grommet and rear rods coming, plus a few other things to sort, so the car will be nicely sorted soon. I have bits coming from all manner of European countries.

That leaves fitting a new radio. I'll have to check what connection has been fitted to the car, as well as sourcing a DAB radio aerial. Also, somewhere inside it is a central locking controller, which isn't working but some actuators are fitted, so hopefully I can get that going again – but that's totally a nice to have.

Many of the central locking systems fitted on ‘basic’ low end cars, of the time, were just kit types factory added to wire looms and door mechanisms. In fact, they were so universally adopted, and easy to incorporate, you can still buy the kits today.
Controller could be behind centre nascelle (radio/heater controls/vents) or to immediate sides of there where loom follows dash.

Many of the central locking systems fitted on ‘basic’ low end cars, of the time, were just kit types factory added to wire looms and door mechanisms. In fact, they were so universally adopted, and easy to incorporate, you can still buy the kits today.
Controller could be behind centre nascelle (radio/heater controls/vents) or to immediate sides of there where loom follows dash.

Thanks! I did a little tracing of the driver's side locking loom and it went up behind the dash somewhere. I've had a look up there once before but couldn't find it. Maybe it's been mounted behind the heater, as you suggest. I'm on the lookout for a steering column shroud and when I find that, and it arrives, I'll have another look when I go to fit it.

Of yes, I need to give the heater a bleed too as it gurgles a bit, but have seen how elsewhere on the forum.

Back