Technical Intermittant windscreen washer

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittant windscreen washer

Hi,

Just bought a 1.9 Diesel, 88K miles, and the windscreen washers only come on intermittantly (about once every five pulls of stalk). Presume it is not the motor or fuse or would not come on at all.

Is there part of the system that can become clogged, and if so how to clean?

Many thanks in advance.

A sticky stalk is probably more likely. Try removing it from the steering column and soaking it in a bath of IPA for 12 hours. Give it 12 to dry and see if that helps.

It was an approved method of cleaning contacts on some ground to air radios we had at work and it seems to work a treat on most things

Quick update - was very intimidated thinking of removing and cleaning wiper stalk as this seems to involve major procedures including removing airbag plus steering wheel etc. So I thought I would first try squirting some contact cleaner into stalk connnection after pulling back the rubber covering at steering wheel.

Success - washer comes on every time now!

HOWEVER - I noticed that I have to pull the stalk very firmly till it can't travel any further, not just the usual quick flick on other cars. So it is possible that I had been doing that wrong all along.

Either way thing now fixed, thanks to Craig for pointing to stalk itself, would never have thought that was the source of the issue.

Last edited:
Bravo stalks are knows to fail...No amount of cleaning can fix some bent/melted metal contacts.
So it might be on it's way out.. but if it works... keep using it until it doesn't. It's just the washer... if it was the lights of the wipers.. i'd say replace as soon as possible.

Hi Aurick, cheers for the advice.

In other news am having to get a new radiator fitted because of coolant leak, but buy an old car and take the consequences!

Back