insurance write off?

Currently reading:
insurance write off?

righty ho,was out at work today and at a garage i deliver to they has a sei in.
been vandalised and all the glass is smashed,may be body damage but i didnt get a good chance to look at it. asked the owner of the garage bout it and said they are waiting to see if the insurance will pay for repairs or write it off.

now i said to him if its written off i'd be interested in parts. it has the funky sei seats with rear headrests:worship: and front bumper with the rectangular fog's.

now it got me thinking.would all the glass being smashed be enough to write the car off(may be other damage)
if so how would i get the parts as i assume i would have to try and buy the whole car from the insurer?
also what sort of price is reasonable for the seats? or even the whole car for that matter

cheers

yes i do feel a bit guilty hovering over someones sei like a vulture :eek:

There are some sei arbarth seats on ebay for the MPI with 150 BIN so you would be looking at arund that figure for the MPI ones, maybe 100 quid for the SPI ones

its got these seats(not a good pic i know)
81_12_sb.JPG

Seen as those have the same seats as mine you are looking probably close to the 100 mark, but for that money i would wanting them to be immaculate, no rips or marks

Last edited:
as i said i didnt get a good look.if its still outside tomorrow i'll have a better look. from what i saw it looked really clean and tidy bar the damage.

may come to nothing mind depending on the insurance decision.now anyone know what sort of money insurers would want to buy a cat C write off sei?

Being an intelligent guy custard, id have expected you to find out who the insurers are and give em a ring to see whats happening with it as you would like the salvage rights(y)
Whats the worst that can happen, they can tell you to sod off!!:)

custard boy said:
as i said i didnt get a good look.if its still outside tomorrow i'll have a better look. from what i saw it looked really clean and tidy bar the damage.

may come to nothing mind depending on the insurance decision.now anyone know what sort of money insurers would want to buy a cat C write off sei?

well again, it depends on how much the insurers value the car at......

in my case, the car was valued at 1300, but to fix the boot damage it would of cost over 1600, so there was no way the insurers were willing to get it fixed.

good luck tho, could stand to get some tidy bits. (y)

I love the way insurers write stuff off then argue about how much it was worth in the first place.

E.g. we had a 1991 (H reg) Citroen BX GTi (8v, 16v was nicked a few months later, and they argued about thats value too), got hydropneumatic suspension, and my dad always forgets to park it in gear (not a crime though), as it suspension dropped it caused enough jerk force to start rolling, continued rolling at about walking pace into neuigbours car, caused £5 worth of damage (Sheared a plastic bumper bolt and mount, didn't even chip/crease/mark paint!!).

INvestigator finally came out and examined the car, found that the composite boot lid had a tiny hair line crack in it. Of course you can't get new panels for BX's anymore so a custom job (another composite and alu bonded jobby, as it was a GTI you get lightweight body panels all over almost) would cost about £950 inc paint and refitting old parts to it and to the car. Car was insured for £1000, and it had cost us £550 to buy.

They wrote it off, as they managed to point a few 'minor' paint scuffs and its above average milage! (done 130,000miles, and average, at the time, would have been 120,000!!!!), and also that the radio didn't have its code. So they then valued it at £900 and wrote it off, and then if we wanted to buy it back it would have cost us £900!!!! JUst where do insurance companies get off!!!

Not only that but when they came to take it away they had one of those scrap trucks with the grappling hooks and picked it up by roof, smashed all the glass and destroyed in right infront of us, was a nice car too, black half leather interior and a 8speaker stereo, a/c, and a mint (apparently near mint) body in a dark metallic green.

They eventually paid out £650 for it!! FUNKING BSATARDS

Well we all know insurance companies are dumb, when some student bastard smashed into Tipo (I'm a student to but he was and still is the bastard kind) he caused me £1500 worth of damage, I'm not fully comp but not once did anyone try to write it off.

And since when do Insurance own peoples cars? if they don't want to pay the for repairs then why can't the owner pay?

my first yellow cinq about 2 years ago got written off for £2k (paid £1300 for it - the difference paid back my parents for loan i got from them :eek: :p) then the second yellow cinq was damaged bought for £1350 and they offered me £1300 or so iirc, told them to find me car with kit for that price (at the time no way possible tbh) so said i'd keep the car to take the kit off etc and they could pay me the £1300, so kept car and got the full payout :cool: :D depends on the salvage place, i know insurers around here chuck cars into the local scrappy for like £50 or so and there has been sei abarth's etc etc :eek:

Back