General Installing Amateur Radio Transceiver.

Currently reading:
General Installing Amateur Radio Transceiver.

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶

murphyv310

No Fiat now unfortunately
Hi.
On Wednesday I am sitting my Foundation exam for the Amateur radio license. With my background I don't expect to fail and thereafter will continue with the next two levels.

I have bought an Icom IC-706 Mk 1 for a very good price and once the license and call sign are through I will install the radio as a removable unit.

I seem to remember that the installation of transmitters is not advised. Is this correct?

Has anyone advice on this at all.

If I go ahead with fitting the radio to the car I'll inform insurance.

Any help would be useful.

Hi.
Anyone able to tell me the immunity of the vehicles electronic systems in strong RF fields. That is mostly the info I need doing the wiring and ensuring the supplies don't carry RF isn't an issue to get round.
Also where is the best place to feed the cable from a mag mount antenna into the car?

Hi.
Well I passed the exam today.
I was hoping I'd had some form of reply especially as there are at least two amateurs with Panda's here.
If I don't get any suggestions I'll contact Fiat, I'm though not expecting much help from them ether.

Can't help I'm afraid - never had radios fitted to my Pandas. I doubt there'd be a problem with RF interference though, as most setups are well protected these days. Audi's struggled mid-2000's when evaluated with some Police Forces, but those issues have since been 'fixed'. If you can find a convenient access for the aerial lead, then I suspect the rest will be just fine (y)

hi well congratulations on passing the exam nice to know people are still interested in these days computer everything lol well i dont think you will have problems rf wise if you run a separate 12 v feed to the fuse box i have never had any problems on lots of cars if anything the shielding has got better as to where to run the cable for the mag mount just have to look but a fixed one would be better if you dont mind drilling holes all the best and good luck 73s gary G4DSA

Thanks chaps.
The issue I have was in my previous Panda's handbook it said that the installation of radio transmitters was not advised. The current handbook doesn't seem to have this warning but I may have missed it.
I do know that some modern cars have fired the airbags when the radio is transmitting.
I'll only be using 2 meters in the car and the Icom IC706 Is just 4 Watts, so hopefully shouldn't be an issue. I'll have a solid ground to chassis and the live direct from the battery with ferrite rings with the power cable wound round them as near to the radio as possible.
I think the best route for the aerial lead is along the roof rail to the tailgate upper and fed into the existing cable/washer pipe sleeve.

all it says in my2020 manual is dont use the antenna inside the car but i would think hand helds by the passengers will be fine lol

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back