Off Topic Inner sill corrosion

Currently reading:
Off Topic Inner sill corrosion

Got an X reg JTD thats been parked up a few years and not been run. Theres a few things need doing like lazy stater motor (already removed) broken n/s/f coil spring (strut removed today) and brake pipe from master cylinder to ABS unit corroding - looks like a pain to change, top engine mount to remove and lots of other pipes and wires in the way!! it seems to be corroding/white powder like its made out of aluminium, is it? and can you still buy a ready made one?

The worst part of the car seems to be the under side of the outer sills where the plastic sill covers bolt to and the handbrake cable bracket at the back - these are nearly rusted through the full length especially where the sill mounts and existing body holes are. doesn't look like a massive welding/panel fabrication job but just wondering if anyone knows if you can buy prefabricated sections? otherwise it all looks pretty solid.

It had the rear axle/cross member changed shortly before being parked up as the radius arm bushes had failed.

So far seems too good to scrap and I quite fancy using it a daily run around if I can rescue it.

Well,

The lazy starter motor turned out to be a cracked and seized alternator, the front spring has been replaced as has the low pressure fuel pump - just to get it started now!

See low fuel pressure thread.

Pictures of the sill corrosion, called it inner sill but its really the outer chassis box section. Shouldn't be a major job I hope!?

Attachments

• 20180717_124432.jpg
    20180717_124432.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 140
  • 20180717_124425.jpg
    20180717_124425.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 127
Two years later and its still on the road, got some steel sections and mate welded it up, lots of cavity protection sprayed in after. Rest of body work doesn't seem to suffer any corrosion issues, 20 years old and still going.
Most problems now are warning lights and front sun roof leaking again!
Use it as daily drive to work and i'm taxi when we were allowed to have six in same vehicle.

Back