General Importing a Classic 500F

Currently reading:
General Importing a Classic 500F

Just a bit of advise please.

I am thinking of importing a Fiat 500 F I think its 1964.(from Italy)

It has been fully restored a few years ago and has a couple of bits to do.

Firstly what do I need to do to get it to the UK?

Does it just have to pass a normal MOT?

Am I right in thinking you just apply for a new reg with the DVLA for £55?

Lastly they are asking around 4900 euro, is this a fair price?

Many thanks, as I am usually over on the NEW 500 forum!:slayer:

Well, we did just that last year! We drove ours back - lots of paperwork in Italy to engineer that and if we hadn't had the help of the seller to do it, we wouldn't have worked it out. We went to the Ministry of Transport, their version of DVLA and the Post Office - special export plates, fixed route out of the country and 5 days to do it in. Nightmare!

Having got here, yes, regular Mot (on the Chassis Number), V55, £55, Insurance, ID and original italian log book to prove age and we got age related plates. Also needed Vat Form. We bought privately, so no Vat there or here. If you buy from a dealer, then I think you pay italian vat?

Price depends on condition and provenence, as ever. Do your homework and you will know whether you have a bargain or not. I have seen basket cases at 500 Euros and immaculate cars for 10,000 Euros plus with everything in between. Ought to be bodily and mechanically sound for 5k.

Hope this helps.

Ian

That's great advise. Bet you had a fun trip!

Do I need special export plates if I trailer it away?

Its part of my family that are selling it in Tuscany so I trust them.
They cannot find the Italian V5 so I will see how hard it is to get a replacement.
Also do I have to have the Italian plates destroyed? So that it no longer exists in Italy?

One more thing, is it hard to convert to UK spec? like lights and speedo in MPH?(for the MOT)

Many thanks again:slayer:

If you trailer it, then I think no export plates required, but the original Italian number plates will have to be removed and returned to their DVLA by the current owner.

If you have no proof of original registration, you run the risk of getting a "Q" plate here, which means car of unknown origin. Big no-no from a resale point of view! Can't put a personal plate on either.

I got through the MoT with a kmh speedo and tape over the headlights, but was warned that the lights were so dim and useless, he wouldn't let it through again! Rhd headlights are rare and expensive, I believe.

I suspect both lights and speedo should be changed.

Best regards

Ian

No, you get no choice of number plate, just whatever they decide!

Provided you get your 1964 registration numnber, then yes, black and silver is legal - and looks great!

You must get proof or original registration in Italy!!

Best regards

Ian

ok all done, what a trip!!! Leonardo has arrived!:slayer:

Attachments

• WP_20130903_033.jpg
    WP_20130903_033.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 100
  • WP_20130905_002.jpg
    WP_20130905_002.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 117
ok all done, what a trip!!! Leonardo has arrived!:slayer:
Hi

just reading the post. and i would like to do the same. i leave here in the uk and want to bring back from Rome my family fiat500f 1969, and wanted some advise on best way to do so.
i am currently asking some car transporter but with very expensive quotes, they vary from 1600 to £2900, and find someone you trust is not easy. i thought that perhpas i should go down with the trailer and hoping that my car is good enough to tow it back all the way, but will probably take few days including hotels..also going through country custom/borders what do i need to show them?
if you have any suggestions would be great.
thanks

Hi

just reading the post. and i would like to do the same. i leave here in the uk and want to bring back from Rome my family fiat500f 1969, and wanted some advise on best way to do so.
i am currently asking some car transporter but with very expensive quotes, they vary from 1600 to £2900, and find someone you trust is not easy. i thought that perhpas i should go down with the trailer and hoping that my car is good enough to tow it back all the way, but will probably take few days including hotels..also going through country custom/borders what do i need to show them?
if you have any suggestions would be great.
thanks
With regard to RHD headlamps, Motobambino sell RHD headlamps WITH side-lights. You will need these, along with amber side-lamp covers to convert them into indicator lamps as the Italians use the WHITE side-lamps as both side and indicator lamps. You will have to get them re-wired as required. The little amber repeaters on the wings will need slight re-wiring as well.

I recently bought a 500 from Denitto and have the transport company details that they use. Can't guarantee what they will charge you, but I pad £1300 to get mine dropped to the door. I was kept updated by the transport company throughout the whole journey to the UK. If you want the details, just let me know (y)

I recently bought a 500 from Denitto and have the transport company details that they use. Can't guarantee what they will charge you, but I pad £1300 to get mine dropped to the door. I was kept updated by the transport company throughout the whole journey to the UK. If you want the details, just let me know (y)
Hi , yes that would be great. at least we know that the company is reliable.
i could try to see if i can use the same one.
I have requested some quotes online, but again who knows which one to choose? the car is going through the "revision" then i will need to give the plates back to italian equivalent DVLA and after that is ready to go i think.
thanks a lot maurizio

Hi , yes that would be great. at least we know that the company is reliable.
i could try to see if i can use the same one.
I have requested some quotes online, but again who knows which one to choose? the car is going through the "revision" then i will need to give the plates back to italian equivalent DVLA and after that is ready to go i think.
thanks a lot maurizio
I have sent you a message with his details :)

Back