Technical ignition system "bobina"

Currently reading:
Technical ignition system "bobina"

merrin

Trying to fit a new set of points, condenser, dist cap etc.

The Haynes manual says that the car should either have a Marelli or a Drucellier system fitted.

Mine looks like neither of these. The dist cap is brown, and is stamped Bobina. Does this ring a bell with anyone????

The haynes manual is correct. Strictly Marelli or Ducellier. Marelli appears to be far more common in my experience.

Bobina is a fairly obscure supplier of ignition components but it also happens to be the italian word for the ignition coil.

From memory the brown cap should have all of the ignition lead posts pointing directly upwards, while the black cap had the lead posts coming out at 90 degrees.

Last edited:
Bobina is not a manufacturer's name, it's there just to indicate which lead goes to the ignition coil.

There are 3 different distributor caps for the X1/9, 2 Ducellier and 1 Magneti Marelli.

The diagrams below show the Lucas part numbers. DDB223 and DDB231 are Ducelier. DDB803 is Magneti Marelli.

Dave.

Attachments

• DDB223.jpg
    DDB223.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DDB803.jpg
    DDB803.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DDB231.jpg
    DDB231.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Bobina is a fairly obscure supplier of ignition components but it also happens to be the italian word for the ignition coil.

doh!.

I think that I have the Marelli parts fitted. My X1/9 is a 1987 Bertone, if that helps???

Cheers

doh!.

I think that I have the Marelli parts fitted. My X1/9 is a 1987 Bertone, if that helps???

Cheers

Unfortunately nothing 'helps', it's just a matter of which system you have and could depend on which manufacturer was on strike and unable to supply Fiat when your car was built.

If you have the Marelli system. there is only one choice so you need to ask your supplier for DDB803 or it's equivalent. If you have the Ducellier system, then it must be the DDB231 bacause acording to the list, DDB203 was not used in 1987.

Dave.

Thanks.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I can't believe that I thought that Bobina was the parts supplier!!

Back