General Idea multijet clutch replacement question

Currently reading:
General Idea multijet clutch replacement question

andrewb

The clutch release bearing failed on our Idea Multijet yesterday (in the middle of a motorway roundabout), so I took it to bits. Hoping to get the new clutch kit tomorrow (Monday). When I took out the old clutch, the bolts that hold the clutch to the flywheel appeared to have a blue substance on the threads. Is this a locking compound? Do I need to use more locking compound when I fit the new clutch? Does anyone know the torque setting for these bolts, and also the torque for the 6 bolts on the driveshaft flanges?

These bolts should be renewed each time they are removed. You could reuse the old ones with a suitable thread locking compound but you would need to completely clean the old blue compound off first.

Similar bolts are used on some Fiat brake caliper brackets and you get a new set of bolts in the box with a new set of pads. Perhaps the new clutch will come with a new set of bolts.

Dave.

Got plenty of time to clean up the bolts. None of my local motor factors can get the clutch, and the Fiat Dealer can't get it till friday, so friday it is then.

Can anyone help with the torque settings? Or is there a manual I can buy for the Idea?

Last edited:
You can get the service cd off ebay - its worth the money...

I got the clutch today. Wa hey. Had a brief chat with one of the technicians at the Fiat dealer. He doesn't bother with the locktite thing, he just puts the old bolts back in as they are. Doesn't bother with the correct torque either. He just "nips them up until they feel right". Fills you with confidence doesn't it?

I've ordered the cd of ebay too.

Last edited:
Thats because we have been doing bolts up for years and know how tight to do them. Most things on cars use nuts and bolts or screws for attachment, we remove and refit hundreds of fixings every week, after a while you just get to know how tight to tighten it. We dont replace the bolts either, theres no need, they arent yield bolts and are reusable, just use a little loctite and youll be fine.

Well the car's back up and running now. Thanks for the advice guys. I used some of the blue loctite stuff on the bolts. Maybe I need to be a bit less paranoid when doing that kind of job. Numan hit the nail on the head really, I only do something like this once in a blue moon. All's well that ends well.

Back