Technical Horn just clicks

Currently reading:
Technical Horn just clicks

richous05

My horn has recently stopped working, now everytime i press it i here clicking from the fuse box area. I tried shorting the wires that connect to the button and you can here the click so im presuming the problem isnt with the button.

I have also checked the fuse and it is fine. i dont know what else to try,

Thanks Richie.

i have exactly the same problem, its the actual horn unit its self that sits just above the radiator to the left should have a pinky/purple and black wire going to it.

If the relay is clicking you kno the fuse is ok as the power is reacing the relay, all you need to do to diagnose it is check you get voltage at the purple wire when the horn button is pressed and that the resistance on the black wire to ground isnt stupidly high then you kno the circuit is fine and its just the horn unit!

if thats too technical replace the horn unit and see if that works there a few quid from a breakers yard or 15 quid for a universal one from halfords :)

Trigg~

My horn has recently stopped working, now everytime i press it i here clicking from the fuse box area. I tried shorting the wires that connect to the button and you can here the click so im presuming the problem isnt with the button.

I have also checked the fuse and it is fine. i dont know what else to try,

Thanks Richie.

I've got the same problem, just hear a clicking sound. Personally I think it's the Horn its self.

Check for 12 volts at the horn. If you don't have a test meter, use any 12 volt lamp (not a headlamp, they get a bit hot in your hand!) as a test device. Use paper clips or something to connect the lamp to the socket where the horn plugs in (be careful not to short the two wires together though). You can hold the bare wires in your fingers (12 volts won't hurt you).

I think there are two fuses involved in the horn circuit. There's a thread here somewhere where I described in detail the Punto horn circuit and how to fault-find.

red

Thanks for the great replys but for some reason my horn is working again. It relates to the position of the steering wheel in my case, if i turn the wheel a certain way i'll get the clicking sound and when i turn it the other way it works fine.

That'll be a problem with your clock spring. Your horn switch is on your wheel which obviously has to turn in relation to the column. To connect the switch to the loom wiring in the column, there is a kind of ribbon cable coiled round several turns. As you turn the wheel, the coil either unwinds a bit or winds a bit. The wiring for the airbag also goes via this clock spring.

red

Back