Hijacked by BT Openzone

Currently reading:
Hijacked by BT Openzone

sh4dow

has left the building...
So I have BE as my home internet/phone supplier. I have a wireless box downstairs which my phone will quite happily connect to (Xperia Mini-Pro if it matters).
My problem is that despite the ability to connect my phone to my BE box, the network will get hijacked continuously by 'BTOpenzone-H'. :mad: I've tried making my phone 'forget' this network, which works, and makes it re-connect to my BE box, but a couple of minutes later and guess what - hijacked again.

Anyone else had this problem or know how to solve it? Really doing my head in now!! :bang:

looked though your phone settings to set somthing like only use prefered users dont connect to unsecured etc

Yep - can't find any settings like that at all. This has been going on for a few months now - every time I have the problem I check again in all the settings to see if I missed something the last time :( Phone is fully up to date too.

connect to network on lappy then send this though
http://goo.gl/htfwH not a very nice thing to do but it should stop it working
i'm out of ideas now.

if you can't do it on phone you could ask the owner of the access-point to bar your phones mac

Don't have a lappy - pc is connected direct. No idea how (or why) I'd want to connect and send them a rick roll vid... Plus - you know to connect means paying for the ability to connect... right?

No idea who owns the access point - having googled it it seems like it's social access points that BT themselves set up - it's not a homeowner thing.

you got the bt fon app installed?

Nope.

Check to see if when you get your phone connected to your internet if there is a setting on your phone to make this the primary connection the openzone will still appear but your phone should ignore it.

is bt open zone not the network bt set up through home's. Sure that we were told about it at O2 you can sign up your home bt broadband so that if someone in your area needs broadband say a travelling sales man he can use yours. :confused:

Check to see if when you get your phone connected to your internet if there is a setting on your phone to make this the primary connection the openzone will still appear but your phone should ignore it.

is bt open zone not the network bt set up through home's. Sure that we were told about it at O2 you can sign up your home bt broadband so that if someone in your area needs broadband say a travelling sales man he can use yours. :confused:

Nope - no option to make my wireless connection primary or anything like that. It picks up my neighbours home hubs and other suppliers, but it doesn't ever try connecting to those - despite most being unprotected. It's only the Openzone one that hijacks me.

Would I be best speaking to BT about it? Though I'm sure they won't do anything about it becuase they can't tempt me with paying for their connection then...

Eureka!! Ahhhh:spin:Ahhhh

Found out what it is! I have an app called 'My Vodafone' for text/minute/data usage. It also comes with a wifi-finder, that basically searches for wifi-hotspots when you're out and about... Low and behold, in the settings on there is an option to turn off 'Enable BT Openzone'... Now why didn't I find this the 300+ other times I've searched for a solution... :bang:

connect to network on lappy then send this though
http://goo.gl/htfwH not a very nice thing to do but it should stop it working
i'm out of ideas now.

if you can't do it on phone you could ask the owner of the access-point to bar your phones mac
Just goes to show how out of touch I am with current trends. I'd heard of rick rolling but didn't have a clue what it was.

I had to watch the TV interview on YouTube there to find out.

Back