General Henry the Orange 4x4

Currently reading:
General Henry the Orange 4x4

Another great panda reborn
We need more like this on the road keep

Time for a well overdue update on Henry!

As was discussed earlier in this thread, John was bringing Henry down to me for conversion to the 16v engine from the Brava. As with most projects like this, where there are a good number of unknown factors, things took a little longer than we wanted, but Henry was finally taken away by John at the start of December after a successful transplant!

Basic spec is as follows:

1242 16v engine from a 2001 Brava - this is the mk2 version with fly by wire throttle and return less fuel system. The same system as used in Mk2 Puntos, although no body computer. Full engine loom transferred over, with all unnecessary components and wiring removed.

Pedal box modified to allow mounting of the Brava throttle potentiometer, actuated by the original Panda pedal. 4x4 fuel tank modified to accept the appropriate return-less fuel pump/sender unit. Original Panda gauge sender modified to fit new pump unit. Wiring ran following original loom inside the car with inertia cut out switch located under dash. New nylon fuel line fitted from front to rear.

Full 2 inch custom stainless exhaust, including manifold, (this being an off the shelf item intended as a decat manifold for a Punto) radiator fitted in standard location but radiator fan moved over 2 inches to clear. Sump guard also modified to clear larger manifold down pipe.

Front of heater box cut back to clear inlet manifold. New plastic panels then glued in to seal it back up and sound proofing then cut to fit. Air filter is just a cone filter held in place with a bracket mounted from the servo.

On top of the engine work alot of other things were done to the rest of the car, some to make sure it is up to the extra power and others to make it more suitable for its intended use!

Mechanical stuff included a full brake overhaul, gear linkage refurb, new driveshaft gaiters, new propshaft UJs, one new wheel bearing and probably a load of other bits and pieces I have forgotten about. I also sorted out the electrical issues John was having and whilst I was there I rewired the roof lights, fitted relays for the headlights to prevent any future issues and also put some wiring in to allow for additional lights in the future.

Whilst the interior was out we also decided some sound proofing would be a good idea, Henry had none as the original factory stuff has been removed when the floor was repainted. John also wanted a towbar fitting, again when the welding work was done the original mount was removed, so a new one was fabricated and the tow bar was bolted on!

The decision was taken to leave the bull bars off for now, due to the mountings needing some re-engineering. John also had a spare set of X/19 alloys with good tyres which seemed a safer bet than the off road tyres whilst on road with the extra power so these were fitted:

I did around 100 miles in Henry before John took him away and the 16v is excellent fun, not too aggressive when driving gently, but comes alive when prodded, the only problem being torque steer and wheel spin in abundance when being silly! Using the later mk2 injection system obviously adds quite alot of work over using a mk1 engine, however it is very doable with the right fabrication skills, the hardest part without doubt was getting the fuel system right, much head scratching and research was done to work out the best way to do this. The fly by wire throttle conversion was actually fairly straight forward once looked at, and the wiring I don't think is actually much more complicated than a mk1 conversion, this is probably down to the fact that there was no body computer in the Brava, a Punto or Stilo with one is probably a little harder.

Anther great panda reborn we need more like this keep it up boys

I've been driving Henry around as my daily ever since I took him back home, he really is a BAP (born again panda)!

The aim of the project was to give him that little bit of extra poke and to make him first turn of the key reliable. Both have been achieved, I've not had any problems with him since he's been back, starts first time every time which has been brilliant with the early starts in winter, just gets on with running at idle without any faffing about with a choke.

It's a totally different driving experience though, with a light touch he's off and can be slotted into a high gear for cruising around town. With a heavy foot he's a raucous monster, wheel spinning, torque steering and deafening!

Despite the lift on him over standard (and the cart springs on the rear) he handles it well, body roll is a little disconcerting at first but despite trying I've not had him break traction on a corner (tempting fate here) he does however love to spin the wheel that hits a metal drain cover

Henry will happily stay in the outside of the motorway, climb steep hills without losing speed and has surprised quite a few people with his off the line ability.
My only complaint is the noise, he'll never be a sleeper!

Just waiting to take him off road to see what he can really do!

Freddy has done an amazing job, there isn't a wire out of place, some very neat solutions to problems have been found, all in all it's a very impressive conversion.

I just need a suitable rev counter sorting out now!

Last edited:
Yes the rev counter we are looking at that too thought about adding half a Sisley speedo pod to the Right, to add extra switches for the spots ect ect and include the punto rev counter with a new digital printed Sisley face with the
other monitoring devices

I left Henry idling for a few minutes this morning to clear the windscreen of frost and had a bloke appear from somewhere nearbyish (who I've never seen before) insisting I repair the exhaust!
It's brand new and just passed an MOT says I, threats of reporting me to some authority then followed, to which I replied, don't bother they know already.
Why do folks have to be so unpleasant?
I don't think it's any more intrusive than a tractor at idle and a small diesel train when underpower.
I suppose I'm to expect somebody with a decibel meter to appear soon then.

I'm seriously thinking of moving.

I left Henry idling for a few minutes this morning to clear the windscreen of frost and had a bloke appear from somewhere nearbyish (who I've never seen before) insisting I repair the exhaust!
It's brand new and just passed an MOT says I, threats of reporting me to some authority then followed, to which I replied, don't bother they know already.
Why do folks have to be so unpleasant?
I don't think it's any more intrusive than a tractor at idle and a small diesel train when underpower.
I suppose I'm to expect somebody with a decibel meter to appear soon then.

I'm seriously thinking of moving.

Just wander over complain about the leylandi shading your property their cat calling at night puting the bins out to late to early breathing heavily. Then they will understand you , it's not really a fiat thing it's f****** neighbours with a little jealous streak don't give them the satisfaction smile and carry on They just won't be able to take it .ha

Henry is looking awesome. The new engine sounds like it is a lot of fun, would love to see the look on people's faces when pulling such speed out of a tiny little Panda like that!

Not only the engine but the overall look is great. The wheels, colour, roof rack and spare wheel all give it a serious off road look, and underneath it's a beast as well. Nice job :)

Sounds like you have some nasty neighbours nearby but you're not doing anything wrong. All legal, all declared, and what ever else, so I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. Keep your head up high, and do same with the revs... (y)

Makes me want 16v even more.
Just a hint base on Snatch experience - keep an eye on the gearbox flange integrity. There is twice as much of tourque trying to rip front differential apart. Ps. Modified steel flanges are on their way.

i'd welcome anyone to come around with a decibel meter to measure fallout. the only issue i have is he drone sound from the exhaust which i think the middle box takes away. it only happens on first start up where the engine is revving slightly higher. naturally ive had complaints but all i say is that its an old car.. when they say get a new one i just say you buying me one then? then i like to tell them that my next car is an old diesel that is considerably louder than this small petrol car but because of age will meet all of the regulations when it was made.

i just get on with it, we have stealth cameras pointing at our cars that no one really knows about so if they do something we would get them (we know where the guy lives anyway so we would just watch him come from or return home as the camera points that way)

people dont know how lucky they have it.. now i am woking a road legal rally spec panda 4x4 was an option that i wanted to do.. but consideration to my neighbors put me off with exhaust noise. (whats a rally car without the rally spec exhaust)

well we will see what happens when a diesel tank.. err old citroen clatter wagon is sat on the drive ticking over defrosting.

Back