Technical Help!

Currently reading:
Technical Help!

I need a tutorial to change the front discs and pads on a 2014 Panda 312. All the tutorials I can find seem to be for older variants. Just some info on how to detatch the calipers is all I need really. Thank you.

Just realised the calipers are the same as the ones on an old Ford Fiesta I once owned . Needs a funny sized allen key to get them off. I think I chucked it out a while back. Buggarrr. Still I know what to do now. Thanks.

Hi.
Yes, 7mm Allen key.
Firstly remove the brake fluid lid and carefully wrap the canister with absorbant cloth round it so when you push the pistons in the fluid doesn't spill over and make a mess. Once jacked up safely and the wheel removed spray some release oil on the two wheel locating pins. Then with a big screwdriver wedge it between the back of the pad on the opposite side to the slave cylinder and lever it back, this pushes the piston in. Remove the holding spring. Remove the plastic bungs from the slides and undo the 7mm Allen bolts holding the caliper. Tie the caliper up so it's not held on the flexi pipe. The caliper holding bracket is held in with a star bolt (I think that's the correct name) remove the two bolts and carrier. Put the car in gear, (I only jack one side at a time) undo the wheel alignment pins, thy can shear on occasions but if this happens don't panic. Once removed the disc should come off, sometimes you may need to hit the back of the disc with a hammer or even a little heat at the centre near the hub but they will come off.
Refitting is a reversal of dismantling, clean the hub and mating faces with a wire brush and rag firstly. If the wheel holding pins sheared you can either drill them out and use a stud extractor or forget about them once the wheel is bolted up everything will be fine.
The spring holding the pads is fiddly to fit though.
Have fun.

I have just done one wheel and no problems except getting the anti-rattle spring back on. It is bloody fiddly but I found a way to do it quite easily. Might take a video of the method when doing the other wheel.

The calipers are identical to those fitted on some older Fords except for the star bolts they used hex bolts.

The video file is too large to upload but basically it needs a large pair of pump pliers, squeeze spring in the middle and tap end of spring into it's little hole.

Attachments

• bd2.jpg
    bd2.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 37
Back