Technical HELP!! Strange noise coming from the engine...

Currently reading:
Technical HELP!! Strange noise coming from the engine...

_ettolrahc_

Hello!

My lovely green punto has started making a strange almost whistling sound. It's a 1998 petrol 1242cc engine and the noise is quite loud and seems to be coming from underneath the main bit of the engine at the front. It doesn't start until the car has been running for a couple of minutes and there's no overheating or anything performance-related that appears to have changed. I've literally just had the coil changed (yesterday) and now this noise has started up :(

Does anyone know what it could be / how easy it would be to fix / what it might cost?

I have my MOT on Saturday, I'm a bit worried :confused:

Any help would be great!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

1st question, why have you had a new coil? Can't think this would be related but maybe something has been disturbed in replacing it.

Does the noise sound like a squeak, scraping, whirring or whistling noise?

bedders

Something wasn't sparking up in the engine apparently (one had been replaced just before I got the car) but the other went, so a new coil was fitted and the car is nice and nippy, probably better than before, but this sound is really bugging me =(

the whistling sound was there before the coil was fitted, but I can just hear it extremely loudly now

it is a loud whistling noise coming from the drivers side I'd say

if it is a cam belt tensioner is it easy to fix or expensive?
also, how urgent is it and do you think I could drive for a couple of hours down the motorway without breaking the car? (to try and get to a member of my family that might know what they're doing)

Sorry, these questions probably sound really stupid but I'm at uni and feel a bit helpless :cry:

Thank you!

cant fail mot on a whistling sound.

my guess is cam belt tensioner

hi pal, i chnged my time belt lastweek, everythings was alright before i changed the belt, now after i changed the belt a little whistling sound hear when i reach 2k RPM above that the sound is gone. is it the tensioner? why am not heared that sound in the old time belt? thanks

hi pal, i chnged my time belt lastweek, everythings was alright before i changed the belt, now after i changed the belt a little whistling sound hear when i reach 2k RPM above that the sound is gone. is it the tensioner? why am not heared that sound in the old time belt? thanks
Sure when I got my belts changed (possibly not cam) on my corsa I got a sort of whisteing whirring noise. It went away after a while.

Possibly just the new belt.

i've just got a 53 Punto 1.3 diesel and experiencing the whistle. The Vauxhall dealer I got it from said "all Punto diesels make that noise". Seems like lies to me after visiting this forum!

Incidentally, could someone give me an idea where to look for the split turbo hose?

Last edited:
Hi!
Did you ever get the bottom of your issue with the whistling noise? I'm experiencing what sounds like a similar issue with my Punto and am looking for help.

Can you let me know how you got on?

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Back