Technical HELP GIARDINIERA EXHAUST GASKET

Currently reading:
Technical HELP GIARDINIERA EXHAUST GASKET

plasticpig1972

I went to fit a new Exhaust Box on my Giardiniera and removed the Exhaust.
I found between the Exhaust Flange and Head a Gasket BUT also a Stainless Steel Shim.
Should i mount the new Exhaust with a new Gasket and also the Stainless Steel Shim.
Seems strange to me to have a Stainless Shim + Gasket.
Help please
Alan
exhaust shim.jpg

Last edited:
I would refit the shim. It seems likely that someone has been very precise in fitting that exhaust. Maybe one pipe was just that bit shorter or the elbow was slightly different. I'veseen it recommended to use a lot of heat on the pipes whilst making the final tightening.
Following the correct assembly order for the exhaust and elbows can save a lot of future grief.

I would refit the shim. It seems likely that someone has been very precise in fitting that exhaust. Maybe one pipe was just that bit shorter or the elbow was slightly different. I'veseen it recommended to use a lot of heat on the pipes whilst making the final tightening.
Following the correct assembly order for the exhaust and elbows can save a lot of future grief.
This is a Giardiniera and there are no Elbows. The Exhaust Flanges fit direct to the Cylinderhead.
Both Exhaust Flanges have this Stainless Steel thin Shim fitted between Gasket and Cylinderhead.
Support Brackets on Exhaust Box are ajustable.
With the Stainless Steel thin Shim it will not seal to Cylinderhead.
I think i will reassemble with the Stainless Shims + new gaskets and High temp Silicon.
Maybe the Stainless Steel thin shims are there to stop the Ring on Exhaust Gaskets bitting into the Alloy Cylinderhead.
Alan

This is a Giardiniera and there are no Elbows. The Exhaust Flanges fit direct to the Cylinderhead.
Both Exhaust Flanges have this Stainless Steel thin Shim fitted between Gasket and Cylinderhead.
Support Brackets on Exhaust Box are ajustable.
With the Stainless Steel thin Shim it will not seal to Cylinderhead.
I think i will reassemble with the Stainless Shims + new gaskets and High temp Silicon.
Maybe the Stainless Steel thin shims are there to stop the Ring on Exhaust Gaskets bitting into the Alloy Cylinderhead.
Alan
I hadn't been aware of that difference and if the shims are on both flanges, I suspect you're right.

I hadn't been aware of that difference and if the shims are on both flanges, I suspect you're right.
A Tip for anyone fitting a new Exhaust is CHECK FLANGES ARE INLINE and not at an angle. After leaks i had to remove the new Exhaust Manifold and adjust the Flanges. I used a long alloy straight edge to adjust the new twisted Flanges. Then measured old Exhaust Manifold for the distance between Exhaust Stud holes. A big Hammer and File comes in very handy lol
Alan

A Tip for anyone fitting a new Exhaust is CHECK FLANGES ARE INLINE and not at an angle. After leaks i had to remove the new Exhaust Manifold and adjust the Flanges. I used a long alloy straight edge to adjust the new twisted Flanges. Then measured old Exhaust Manifold for the distance between Exhaust Stud holes. A big Hammer and File comes in very handy lol
Alan
That's a lot easier on the standard engine because on those, you are supposed to have the elbows slightly loosely fitted to the head whilst you secure the exhaust flanges to the elbows. The elbow holes to the head are oversize and give some wiggle-room to accommodate minor misalignments.
What you did is what I think was often achieved by heating the downpipes cherry-red and quickly tightening up.

That's a lot easier on the standard engine because on those, you are supposed to have the elbows slightly loosely fitted to the head whilst you secure the exhaust flanges to the elbows. The elbow holes to the head are oversize and give some wiggle-room to accommodate minor misalignments.
What you did is what I think was often achieved by heating the downpipes cherry-red and quickly tightening up.
The Flanges on the new Exhaust were a long way out of line. Imho it's best to check and adjust before fitting. It was the only solution.
Alan

Back