General Help 1.7 TD didnt start this morning.

Currently reading:
General Help 1.7 TD didnt start this morning.

Recently purchased a 1.7 TD Fiorino (Brazilian Version), disabled access conversion. (allows me to get a motorbike in the back). Really nice tidy little Van, genuine 46,000 miles and no sign of the dreaded tin worm that finished off my previous 1.7 D.

Anyway all has been good. Did some basic servicing on it including changing the fuel filter. Which went fine once I realised you had to fill the new fuel filter up with Diesel first. School boy error more used to gravity fed carbs on my bike! That was a couple of weekends ago.

This weekend I had the rear of the Van up on ramps to do bit of cleaning up, painting and under sealing here and there. Not sure I will bother with that again!!

Anyway used the Van Monday and Tuesday no problems went to start it today and it briefly picked up and died and then wouldn’t start. Turned over but didn’t seem like any fuel was getting through.

I unscrewed the black cap underneath the fuel filter and diesel appeared to be dripping out, although I must admit I did hear a sound very much like air escaping as I undid it. Tried staring it again and it did briefly fire up with the pedal pressed to the floor then died. Did the same again and once again did briefly fire before stopping. Battery was staring to run down a bit by this point so gave up and took the motorbike.

I must admit since doing the fuel filter I did think there were one or two moments the engine hesitated to pick up but wasn’t quite sure if it was my imagination.

My thoughts are to charge the battery. Maybe try cranking it over with a little easy start in the air intake. Maybe also try filling the fuel filter up, checking the connections in and out of the filter housing.

Then I guess the next step after that is to bleed the injectors.

Really does seem to be exhibiting exactly the same symptoms as when I hadn’t put any fuel in the new filter.

I’m new to cars so my apologies in advance if I’m asking any stupid questions. I have previously stuck to motorbikes.

Also I did have the plastic guard off from under the left hand wheel arch that protects the fuel filler pipe when I was under sealing the wheel arches.

1: Could I have blocked/knocked off some kind of breather/return pipe?

2: How can I check the fuel pump is definitely working?

3: Where is the fuel pump? I assumed it was the device after the filter but is it actually in the diesel tank itself?

4: I did wire brush over the fuel tank and give it a coat of paint. Could I have disturbed a load of sediment/rust inside the tank?

5: Whats the switch located in the passenger foot well that has picture of a fuel pump with a line through it. Assume its some kind of cut out switch? Would I ever need to press it?

6: Why do these things always happen when it raining and your in a rush?

All good learning experience I guess.

Also I understand there isn’t actually a Haynes manual for these vans but you can get a manual that covers the engine. Is flea bay my best option?

And thanks in advance and any help/guidance much appreciated. As I say new to car mechanics hoping to learn a bit by running/maintaining myself van. :)

Can’t bear the thought of it sitting there incapacitated!!!

Re: Help 1.7 TD didn't start this morning.

A lot of questions indeed...!
Seems there is air inside the fuel system somewhere.
On top of the fuelfilter housing is a small bleeding screw, and a handpump to bleede the system ( at least on the non turbo versions...)
I never ever have to use it though, I just unscrew the old filter, put a new one on ( dry!!) and start the engine without any problems.
The fuelpump is in front of the engine, where the accelerator cable ends....
There's no fuel/kill switch in my '93 Fiorino Pick Up, so I can't tell you about that, I'm sorry.

All working ok now.

Just bled the filter.

Left for two weeks whilst I was away in the French Alps and started first time on my return no problems.

Will see if problem returns.

:)

All working ok now.

Just bled the filter.

Left for two weeks whilst I was away in the French Alps and started first time on my return no problems.

Will see if problem returns.

:)

Actually this reoccured. Fixed it last weekend. Bleed bolt on the filter was only hand tight. Nipped it up and starts and runs perfect.

Just need a decent set of cheap alloys now for that bling factor, oh and some silver tinting for the rear windows. ;-)

Back