Panda 2012+ Hello

Currently reading:
Panda 2012+ Hello

That’s a pity because Iam so glad I bought a TA my panda has 100.000 miles on it . It’s like any other engine you need to keep up with maintenance because if you don’t bother about it you will finally run into a big bill
I completely agree. The problem with buying a 2nd hand TA is you're taking a risk that the previous owner(s) have maintained it correctly... or I could end up footing the bill for the previous owners maintenance, or lack thereof.

I completely agree. The problem with buying a 2nd hand TA is you're taking a risk that the previous owner(s) have maintained it correctly... or I could end up footing the bill for the previous owners maintenance, or lack thereof.
I totally agree because that’s what happen to me they drove the wee car into the ground and then sold it I had a fair bit of fixing to to but I got there in the end up

The problem with buying a 2nd hand TA is you're taking a risk
That's true for any secondhand car. The previous owner may have traded or sold it precisely because they were anticipating a substantial repair bill in the near future.

I think this risk is much greater in today's car market; folks are much less likely to trade in a good car just because they fancy a change then they did pre-pandemic.

It's about managing that risk. If buying an older used Panda, you're substantially less likely to have an unexpected £1000+ bill in the second half of a car's life if you buy a 1.2.

And if it's really necessary to fork out north of £8k to buy a 7+ yr old Panda, then for those able to pay upfront in cash, buying new seems to me to make more sense.

And if it's really necessary to fork out north of £8k to buy a 7+ yr old Panda, then for those able to pay upfront in cash, buying new seems to me to make more sense.
My wife quite likes the new Dacia Sandero. It's a nicely put together car, with a decent, sensible spec on it. But to buy that new, on a PCP, you're looking at close to 10% on the interest rate. So even, putting down a sizeable deposit, unless you pay off the PCP early, you're looking at £2k in interest over the course of a 3 year term.

I think this is contributing to used car prices being high as many people simply cannot afford to get new PCP deals as the monthly payments are so high. So people hand their car back and buy used. The cost of living probably doesn't help with people maintaining their cars, if money is tight and servicing can be expensive.... so end up being pushed to next month, and then never done.

But to buy that new, on a PCP, you're looking at close to 10% on the interest rate
That's why I chose the specific wording
for those able to pay upfront in cash
If you have to pay interest on the money you need to finance the purchase, the economics are substantially different and buying new makes a lot less sense.

And I read somewhere recently that the percentage of new cars that are sold on some sort of finance plan is staggeringly high; somewhere around the 90% mark.
I think this is contributing to used car prices being high as many people simply cannot afford to get new PCP deals as the monthly payments are so high. So people hand their car back and buy used
Absolutely. It's the combination of high new car prices and the high cost of financing their purchase that's driving the used car market just now.

The days when you could get a new car on a zero deposit interest free pcp are firmly in the past.

A lot of the folks who would previously have traded in their cars are now keeping what they've got, and the used cars which do come onto the market are more likely to be the ones with some sort of problem.

Last edited:
My wife quite likes the new Dacia Sandero. It's a nicely put together car, with a decent, sensible spec on it. But to buy that new, on a PCP, you're looking at close to 10% on the interest rate. So even, putting down a sizeable deposit, unless you pay off the PCP early, you're looking at £2k in interest over the course of a 3 year term.

I think this is contributing to used car prices being high as many people simply cannot afford to get new PCP deals as the monthly payments are so high. So people hand their car back and buy used. The cost of living probably doesn't help with people maintaining their cars, if money is tight and servicing can be expensive.... so end up being pushed to next month, and then never done.

I looked at the sandero and a couple of other cars when we bought the panda TA 4x4 back in July.

We only changed cars because my son’s fiesta had to have the clutch replaced at 3 years and 9 months old and @ 13,000 miles the balloon
payment of £5800 was due in November and I was quoted £9800 trade in for his car which subsequently realised £9150 but it was in a bit of a state body work wise with lots of small damage to the exterior.

We bought the panda on HP over five years and it’s costing just under £20,000 with credit charges of about £3500 APR is 9.9% but we’re hoping to pay it off sooner and hopefully within two years as we’re nearing retirement age and want to get rid of debt we’re currently paying £264 a month there was about £3200 equity from the fiesta trade in so roughly £17000 for the car the actual price was just under £16,000 with ten miles on the clock.

Like big Gerry we, my wife and I, love the car especially the engine and we are definitely not car lovers far from it but there’s something about the panda TA.

Another one here nimbus. looks decent with low mileage, and open to offers too.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
And another here.

Thanks for these. I really like the Grey colour, this one is unfortunately out of my price range, and while the seller is open to offers, me might be tad insulted if I offer £6.5k :ROFLMAO:

The Grey one with Motorpoint is also on Auto Trader, and is another good, relatively new, low mileage example.

Back