Ducato Hello from Scotland, speedo advice

Currently reading:
Ducato Hello from Scotland, speedo advice

daveb73

Hi guys, thanks for having me on the site, should have joined the forum ages ago (had the van for going on 8 years now!)

Had an issue with my speedo for a while now, it basically doesn't work (nor does the odometer) so I've had it in at a local auto electrician as it failed it's last MOT due to this. He's traced the problem to a crushed cable that feeds power and such to the tacho (van had a working life before it became my day van). This has likely melted the wiring loom and possibly fried the tacho itself. Apparently this was caused by a hamfisted replacement of a suspension strut (not by me, I paid good money to have these problems!!)

However, I managed to get a hold of a tacho emulator card which the electrician has fitted and has confirmed that the speed signal from the sender unit on top of the diff is being received and sent by the card but still no working speedo.

I'm getting the van back as he's tight for time and I'm tight for budget and going to see if a hardwired GPS speedo will get me through the MOT (as a short term solution to get me back on the road). However, this is not ideal as the speed signal is required for other systems (fueling, PAS etc) so needs a proper fix.

Is there anything I should be looking at that would stop the speed signal registering on the speedo dial (ABS sensors, faulty instrument cluster, simple break in the speed signal out wire). Is the speedo operation solely controlled by the signal from the sensor on the diff or does the ABS system play a part in this.

Any advice gratefully received, been beating my head off a wall with this for a while now.

Cheers,
Dave.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum.
Advice may be more readily forthcoming, if you were state what model of Ducato? you have. i.e. x244, x250 etc. If not known refer to the VIN, which for Fiat will have the form ZFA244...... or ZFA250......

Sorry, yes of course that would help. It's a 2010 MWB 2.3ltr 120 Multijet. The X250 i believe...

For the short term there are obd 2 speedos available on ebay
I dont know if these rely on the speedo or can display the gps speed. Alternatively plenty of android apps for an old phone.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi 'one & only', got a plug in GPS Speedo to mount on top of the dash coming tomorrow. Will use the feed from the 12v sockets to power.

I actually had a phone on a mount with a GPS app for the MOT but apparently that didn't satisfy the requirement (the odometer needs to store the total miles, not just the trip.

As you say short term fix, still need to get to why the OEM speedo isn't getting a signal.

Thanks for the suggestions , much appreciated for your help.

Back