General Head tightening sequence ???? 1.6 16V

Currently reading:
General Head tightening sequence ???? 1.6 16V

Just found my disc after a big search..and no sequence given ..:rolleyes: and with regards to torque all it gives is..4+90deg+90deg..no specific torque given..:bang:

head tightening sequence.JPG
Tightening sequence is pretty normal, start from the middle and work to the outside

head tightening torque 1.6.JPG
Torques are as above and apparently you need an angle gauge because you couldnt possible judge 90 degrees. Course not, wonder how they built the pyramids :)

Ha! That was fast Phil! daNm the figures are

Last edited:
You got better disc than me thats not fair..;) pity they just dont put the torque value and be done with it..:bang: trust fiat to do this one..:rolleyes: yep you need a dial gauge for it ..bloody great more expense..:bang: and who built the pyramids ..:chin: well I think that one was down to an alien influence the egyptians just provided the labour :)

You can judge 90 degrees though Phil, I'm sure I can. I was there when we built the pyramids, food was rubbish but the Egyptian girls were something else

4daNm though- that's 4 slaves at 15 cubits in old units isnt it?:)

Last edited:
You can judge 90 degrees though Phil, I'm sure I can.

4daNm though- that's 4 slaves at 15 cubits in old units isnt it?:)

I can judge 90 deg no problemo amigo..some peeps just might have a problem with it so a dial gauge I suppose the right way to go..pain in the arse though innit and seems to be a trend now with moderen cars..cubits whats them its shekels where I come from..;)

I just received a new set of head bolts from Shop4Spares. Super service. Now I have another problem. It looks like I do not have the correct tools. It is not star ..it is not hex ..it is something I have never seen in my life.

Does anybody know where can I buy the bits ?? Or at least how are they called ??

Heeeeelp please :bang:

Thank you again PNL. Managed to get the tools from Halfrauds for 29.99 ..:bang: Wasted money on something I will probably use just once.

I can't wait to have my car fixed. If everything goes well it should all cost between 350 - 400 including new thermostat, water pump, timing belt, new oil filter, 5 litres of Selenia oil, antifreeze, distilled water, tools and some pocket money for the bloke who is gonna do it for me. :yuck:

Much better then 600 - 800 + VAT quoted by local garages just for the head gasket.

Last edited:
1 daNm = 10 Nm
1 in× lbf = 0,112985 Nm
1 ft× lbf = 1,355818 Nm

Is this correct ?? Found it on one German Uni site .....

If it is not I give up and sell my car :D

Yes that's correct

4 daNm = 4 decanewton metres = 40Nm = 29.5 lbf ft

In the post you added with the image of the torque requirements i.e 4+90+90 and what you wrote above am i right in assuming the torque settings for the punto head bolts is 40Nm then 90°+90°
I ask cos i just fitted new bolts when changing the head gasket with these settings and thought that the crack was when the torque wrench (borrowed) slipped to indicate the correct torque had been reached but as it happens it was the bolts shearing... all of them...! I just replaced with the old bolts and used a shorter bar on the socket till i couldn't tighten them any more and she is running great now.
great thread by the way helped me do the job I'm just wondering if the torque wrench i used was faulty or I'd used the wrong settings?

As a note to anyone doing this you have to remove the pulley (3 bolts) off the crank that goes to the alternator to get the cam belt cover off. You all might know this but i had no manual and its my girlfriend's car so know nowt about em. I then stuffed kitchen roll around the bottom cam belt cog to jam the belt against the cog to stop the belt from falling off and just marked the top cog and belt. Worked a charm.

I cleaned both surfaces with a Stanley blade and some fine sand paper and checked for warp with a machined straight edge, it was all good. Bled the cooling system before starting and she fired up straight away. Saved her a fortune.

Why would you think a Punto head needed the same settings as a Stilo?

That's a big leap in assumptions:confused:

If you ask in the Punto section I'm sure someone there will have done the job or have the figures you need. If you overtorque them then they're liable to break when your engine is running

Last edited:
Back