Technical Head Light Removal

Currently reading:
Technical Head Light Removal

I don't know how topical this is anymore. I removed, repaired and replace the right headlight this afternoon. Very easy:
2 bolts in the engine compartment; 1 bolt easily accessible with a long extension up behind the bumper; 1 bolt in the wheel well behind the plastic liner.

The bolt accessed from underneath can be a pain when the captive nut is spinning .

Of the 2 headlamps I still have , the NS has the whole bottom mounting snapped off ,not by me and the OS the captive nut has spun and mangled the plastic .

All 10mm and not tight. Watch out when re-installing: hand-tight and a half-turn with the wrench. It's all old plastic and metal U clips.

Attachments

• Backside behind wheel liner.jpeg
    Backside behind wheel liner.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 70
  • engine compartment.jpg
    engine compartment.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 65
  • looking up behind bumper.jpg
    looking up behind bumper.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
Ernibv, thanks for the pictures!

Wanted to remove the headlights for the first time in 24,5 years and am aware of the fact that the plastic might be a little on the brittle side, hence love to seen how and what.
How was the condition of the nuts in/on the headlights? were they very rusty or was it okay?

Frank

There are no nuts ;) Galvanized 10 mm hex bolts screwed into electroplate metal U clips. Everything comes apart very easily. The power cable is long enough not to be a problem. The plug is waterproof, so make sure it is properly seated for re-assembly. The cable runs through a flex-pipe that may need to be pushed aside to re-seat the light.

Reactions: tjr
Back