Technical Head Gasket Issue

Currently reading:
Technical Head Gasket Issue

I have a 1981 Fiat Spider Turbo ( Turbo has been removed). It was a barn find and I have done a pretty complete mechanical restoration over the past three years. It has run really well for the past six months ( maybe 600 miles). The engine has good compression and actually feels stronger then my 83 Spider which had a head gasket replacement 1000 miles ago. The 81 has 64000 miles. The last time I checked the oil it was almost a quart down. I noticed an oil leak on the passenger side engine block coming from the head gasket area. I don't have any oil in the coolant. When I run the car I can see the 2 to 3 inch area at the head gasket seal getting slightly wet with oil and start dripping down the block. I really don't want to replace a head gasket. Since the head gasket does not have coolant I was wondering if using a oil resistant sealant over the leaking area might work. If not I guess I could try a head gasket sealer but since the oil isn't mixing with the coolant (yet) I was hoping there might be another option. I appreciate any advise.

Attachments

• 81fiat.jpg
    81fiat.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 76
Wehn the head gasket was done, and torqued down as per specifications, did it go back to retorque? If not, you may just get away with re-torquing it…it worked with our kubota (that I have to admit was my fault because I forgot to re-torque after 15-20hrs…don’t ask, all plant and machinery is measured by hours worked NOT mileage)

Wehn the head gasket was done, and torqued down as per specifications, did it go back to retorque? If not, you may just get away with re-torquing it…it worked with our kubota (that I have to admit was my fault because I forgot to re-torque after 15-20hrs…don’t ask, all plant and machinery is measured by hours worked NOT mileage)
I think I may have written in a confusing manner. The 1981 which has the leak did not have the head gasket replaced. When I found it in storage for at least 12 years it had 64000 miles on it and I don't know if a head gasket replacement was ever performed. But maybe checking the head bolts isn't a bad idea. Can I access them without taking a lot of stuff off the engine to get to them.
Thanks

Back