Technical Head gasket blown 4x4 1.1 (or maybe not)

Currently reading:
Technical Head gasket blown 4x4 1.1 (or maybe not)

denis4x4

Steyr driven
During a drive, a hose blew, the one on thermostat.
Stuck thermostat, so replaced it, got new hose, fits from clio 1.2, as original was unobtainable.
Before it blew, had occasional heat gauge fluctuations, which I now know could indicate stuck thermostat.

This overheating behaviour still proceeds, but is not as profound.

I do however quickly loose all the expansion chamber coolant. I don't know if leakage continues, after chamber is empty, but it seems not, as I can always pour in exactly 2 litres of fluid to top it off.

Oil is OK on the stick, no milk, also oil filler cap is OK.
No smoke, car runs normally and starts OK, cold or hot, and is as potent as ever. No sweet exhaust smell.

I would however like to check the sparkplugs, but don't even know which socket is for removing them, 14, 16mm? Dont have it, need to buy.

I do notice, that every time I top up the coolant, there is a leak below the car, but not a big amount, like 1/5 liter maybe (2dcl).
This happens only during first night, and not again untill next refill.
Very hard to pinpoint location, as all critical areas are dry (hoses, radiator..), and engine block is partially wet from minor oil leakages.

Its a closed cooling system, so its a bit hard to check with single cylinder plug compression, indicating splashing of coolant at the radiator cap.

Last edited:
Have you checked the metal pipe on the front of the block? These are prone to leak with rust building up around where they plumb into the water pump and on the other end where they meet the bottom hose. You should also check the water pump itself, usually shows if it's leaking out of the bottom of the engine on the right hand side. Also don't rule out a leaking radiator or heater matrix, these are also reasonably regular failures.

You've already checked the oil, if the gasket has gone between the water jackets and the cylinder you would most likely get a fair bit of white smoke constantly while you are driving - it hangs in the air a lot more unlike steam from.a cold engine/exhaust.

I hope you can get it fixed :)

It might be a small leak that only shows when the engine is hot. It's worth starting your Panda and leaving it running until the radiator fan cuts in.

Take a look at the radiator (front and back) and the inlet / outlet hoses and see if there's a small amount of steam coming from anywhere.

Good Luck!

Excellent.

I would replace heater matrix or at least the valve, as it is non functional.
I managed to revive it once, by molesting the valve, but again it seems stuck in the cold position.
Coolant loss, I guess, doesnt help either.

When riding steeper offroad, i got leg splashed by liquid from somewhere below dash. It happened twice since i have it.
Either coolant or unknown rain water pockets, didnt bother then, as it was before the tube had blown.
Panda is not swiss cheese type rusted away body, but is actually very well preserved unit, but will do a full exterior coolant lines checkup.
Timing belt and WP have around 3000 miles on them but will still have to rule it out.

Any interchangible coolant matrix or mixture valve parts, like punto, ccentos?
I find many new parts from manufacturer now unobtainable or unreasonably $$.

I like to tear things apart, so would rather upen up the heater valve and clean it, but hardly believe this is possible.

Back