Technical hand brake unbalanced / caliper adjustable?

Currently reading:
Technical hand brake unbalanced / caliper adjustable?

scimitargtc

04 rhd 2.0jtd dynamic 89k full FSH - replaced both rear handbrake cables (inner shrouds fouling on the outer sheath preventing full release of the pads when taking off the handbrake - added a spring to assist the 'spring back' mechanism ie the rubber metal bracket where the cables all meet and this works but the caliper handbrake operating levers move different amounts n/s approx 20mm o/s 2-3mm Q - are the handbrake levers at the calipers adjustable?? There is a nut that secures the lever but before I take off the nut and end up with a 'mess' does anyone know if they can be adjusted before I fork out £61 per side for exchange calipers??? As history I had an Tempra 2.0ieSX SW from new in 1992 and her handbrake was always unbalanced until about 2 months before I sold her :)cry:) - took calipers apart to find there was a shim aka a steel washer! that operated the handbrake operating lever adding a thicker washer from my tool box immediately sorted what had always been a problematical handbrake hence my train of thought.....:bang:

With the end of the handbrake cable removed from the caliper lever, turn the lever downwards with a pair of 'mole grips'. The lever should move down around 15-20 mm and spring back up to its stop when released. If this doesn't happen I would suspect corrosion somewhere in the handbrake automatic adjustment mechanism. Before replacing the calipers, I would try a couple of things first:

1. Lubricating around the area where the lever enters the rear of the caliper.
2. Removing the caliper and screwing the caliper piston outwards and then back inwards using a caliper piston rewind tool.

Hope you manage to find a solution.

Back