Gritting Truck victim

Currently reading:
Gritting Truck victim

DBunX

Just drove into Portsmouth and came up behind a gritting/sanding truck, which wasn't deploying anything as we where pottering along at around 30, however as it approached the end of the slip road it suddenly dumped its load on the road in front of me.

It wasn't too bad as I was about 3-4 car lengths back, so could slow and go over it slowly. It then joined the middle lane and slowed down, seemed to wait until I moved into the right hand lane to go around it and then pulled over to the left suddenly dumping more stuff on the road as it went. All of the debris was going under its wheels and flying up/around me and the car behind me, and we where basically coated by marble sized chunks over our bonnets and front left/rear wing.

I've got home and parked it under a light, and there are quite a few scrazes and chips. Most of them have just taken the top coat off but some are down to the primer. To say I'm gutted is an understatement: the car is only 4 months old and has the crossover black finish, so you can see the marks quite easily.

I need help and advice to fix this; do I go to the dealer and see if they can help / try chipex / chips away etc?

Just drove into Portsmouth and came up behind a gritting/sanding truck, which wasn't deploying anything as we where pottering along at around 30, however as it approached the end of the slip road it suddenly dumped its load on the road in front of me.

It wasn't too bad as I was about 3-4 car lengths back, so could slow and go over it slowly. It then joined the middle lane and slowed down, seemed to wait until I moved into the right hand lane to go around it and then pulled over to the left suddenly dumping more stuff on the road as it went. All of the debris was going under its wheels and flying up/around me and the car behind me, and we where basically coated by marble sized chunks over our bonnets and front left/rear wing.

I've got home and parked it under a light, and there are quite a few scrazes and chips. Most of them have just taken the top coat off but some are down to the primer. To say I'm gutted is an understatement: the car is only 4 months old and has the crossover black finish, so you can see the marks quite easily.

I need help and advice to fix this; do I go to the dealer and see if they can help / try chipex / chips away etc?

sorry to hear that...

worth getting a quote form a proper bodyshop, and sending it to the local highways office with the time, date, location..,
you may not hear anything back.. BUT you may get it all paid if it's @ £300,

less than £200 you may as well pay for it yourself. = .CASH job..
the bodyshop quote will give a good idea of the work involved for a decent repair,
Charlie

Another example of where a dashcam could really help your corner.

your description, to me, sounds like the gritter driver was having a laugh - at your expense.

I have always believed that they were supposed to warn motorists if they were about to start deploying grit - by turning on their amber beacons.

Another example of where a dashcam could really help your corner.

your description, to me, sounds like the gritter driver was having a laugh - at your expense.

I have always believed that they were supposed to warn motorists if they were about to start deploying grit - by turning on their amber beacons.

ours drive with them beacons on if they are chucking or not, they also seem to be exempt from speed limits too

They always seem to over do it too and chuck excessive amounts down which promptly gets washed away when there's no real risk of a major freeze, especially down here in Hampshire. Of course what used to be decent roads have all been ruined by crap surface dressing which crumbles and falls of at the first hint of winter.
if it were me I would certainly report it.

If as you say it suddenly started up and the lights weren't on it was either error, negligence or poor procedure. Can anyone else help you to prove this?

At the very least I'd be writing to the local council or Highways Agency depending on where it was.

And that's coming from a highways background :)

Back