Technical Greasing top mounts

Currently reading:
Technical Greasing top mounts

HornetUK

Established member
Is it easy to grease the front spring top mounts yourself? I only have one jack can it be reached like this?

The top mounts are apparently dry? Sound right?

Thanks

I had mine apart a few weeks ago to fit new springs and it looks as though it's supposed to be a completely dry mounting. If you wanted to grease the bearing plate, you'd need to remove the spring and dismantle the mounting. It's not possible to dismantle the bearing plate so I've no idea how you'd get grease into it.

Does it creak when you bounce the car or whilst turning the steering? I got the new springs fitted onto the shock absorbers by a Fiat dealer but when I fitted them back on the car and turned the steering, it creaked. I discovered that the dealer had assembled the mountings incorrectly. When I assembled it how it should be, the creaking (and several other problems) stopped.

More info here;
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/175681-feels-like-steering-has-life-its-own-2.html

Dave.

I think there is a small amount of grease in the
bearing like Molybdenum Greaseaswhen I removed
mine to change the spring a trace of grease remained
on the adjacent parts.I have split them on other
cars and regreased them as the grease had solidified.
They are tricky to separate and don't forget in winter
the plastic is brittle due to the colder weather.

John

I have had mine greased by Fiat £130 two years ago and an indy £60 a couple of months ago. Mine was at the stage that if stationery and you turn the wheel from lock to lock there was a big 'booming noise' and you could see the spring jump a cm if you watched from outside whilst someone else did it (Just in case anyone though I had a long neck hanging out the window!!!:)

Both greased...booming noise goes away for 6 months at least! Just wonered if could do it myself by spraing white grease up, but obviously not by the sounds of it!

Back