Glowplug light.

Currently reading:
Glowplug light.

stevietease

Hi Guys,

Advice needed please.
I have a problem starting my 1.9 JTD multijet Punto but only after a short journey when its semi-warm and ive noticed that the glowplug light goes out in a milli-second when you turn the key.
When it does eventually start when warm the glowplug light flashes and gives the error 'check glowplugs'
If you do a longer journey and its properly warmed up it will start ok.
All 4 plugs have just been changed (100% on this as I did the pigs myself) with gen Bosche ones so im now guessing its the relay. (ive ruled out the relay to plugs mini-loom as when its cold the plug dash light stays on for about 5 seconds and she starts on the button)

Anyone know of anything else it could be before I shell out 60 dibbers on fleabay for a new relay?

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome :)

I had lots of grief with mine.. its a 1.3 mj

Turns out a plug had shorted and blew the maxifuse on battery connection

So..
Before you changed the plugs did you check that all 4 supply leads were giving @12 volts ;)

Low voltage is a lousy connection somewhere..
next to nothing ..on all 4.. no power
supply

Worth comparing
Cold...Warm and Hot

Are your plugs tucked around the back.. or facing the radiator..?

Charlie

Last edited:
Cheers for the reply Varesecrazy.
Yep plugs hidden at the back of the block, 3 mirrors, an actual million wobble extensions and every knuckle bleeding!
I didn't check any voltages when the plugs where changed.
Before I changed them the car was a proper pig to start cold, warm or hot and the check plug error and preheat dash light always there.
Ive had the little loom off and done continuity checks and everything looks ok with that.
To me the controller isn't preheating once the engine gets a little bit warm. Hot no probs but after a small run to the shops when you turn the key the preheat light just flashes once and when it eventually starts you get a load of unburnt fuel out the rear.

But its a good shout to check the voltages to see if the preheat light is giving a good indication.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
No mate, the car has always had a few snags starting apparently but ive only had it a few months.
Got it free to a good home so cant winge too much.
I wondered about a temp sensor been a possible problem though as it never seems to get properly hot on the water temp gauge.
No worries running wise, its sweet as a nut and fuel wise over 50mpg (worked out actual not relying on the trip comp) it has never got close to half on the temp gauge.
Cab heater works ok, not red hot but ok so I did think about changing the sensor.

Intermittent warm start snag now sorted:

So far ive swapped the temp sensor and also found a bodged wiring job to the battery terminal 50amp strip fuse which has now been done correctly as I wait for fleabay to deliver a new strip fuse.
I'm not totally out of the woods as the pre-heat light still flashes occasionally after starting but its now starting ok whether cold, warm or hot. :)

Back