General ? glow plugs replace or not

Currently reading:
General ? glow plugs replace or not

garytheobald

Hi all, been using my 92 Tipo 1.9 without issue however last monday I came out from work and it wouldnt start, It cranks over really well there was a fair bit of white smoke from the exhaust but wouldn't fire anyway I called the AA who said it was fine (Battery etc) then squirted Easystart into it and suggested it was glow plugs.
The engine fired up immediately my question is the glow plug light comes on for about 8 seconds then goes off does that not mean the glow plugs are doing their job?
Also if I replace the glow plugs am I correct in thinking that I remove battery positive lead, then remove the bar in front of the four glow plugs then remove and replace them one at a time? Is this job as simple as it sounds
Your help as always is greatly appreciated

Yep the light may come on and go off but the plugs may not be working, even when you take them out they may look fine but probably aren't. Go to a motorfactors in your area (not Halfords) and get some more. Replace them and be sure to clean the connectors on the wiring. They should work fine. Other issue for not starting are commonly the diesel primer (a rubbery balloon thing usually on the bulk head) leaking air, easy and cheap to replace.

oh, yes job is simple, but have good tools and turn them slowly as glow plugs can shear off. Access can be difficult sometimes to get on the top of the plug.

Last edited:
I would test the glow plugs with an ohm meter before replacing them, resistance should be below 6 ohms, it could be as little as 1 ohm or even less.
High resistance or infinite resistance indicates a bad plug.

If you do end up replacing them, be sure to test the new plugs before installation.

Thanks for replies my question is can I do it myself I've changed plugs many times without problems is this any different also I notice on the glow plugs for sale there are two nuts one which is larger than the other which do I turn also apart from the connecting bar is there anything else I need to remove thanks

Have you decided to change them, or are you considering testing them first?

As to your question, I don't know, but imagine it wouldn't be any more difficult than any other Fiat, but if you have doubts, consult a Fiat mechanic or buy a workshop manual.

This might help:
FIAT Cars > Croma >
red.gif
Is it hard to change glow plugs ?

https://www.fiatforum.com/croma-ii/305636-hard-change-glow-plugs.html

Last edited:
tested them
battery was 12.62
glow plug 1 was 8.01
glow plug 2 was 12.62
glow plug 3 was 0.02
glow plug 4 was 0.02

bought 3 new ones now starts spot on tha ks guys
ps half hour job start to finish with 2 ring spanners

tested them
battery was 12.62
glow plug 1 was 8.01
glow plug 2 was 12.62
glow plug 3 was 0.02
glow plug 4 was 0.02

bought 3 new ones now starts spot on tha ks guys
ps half hour job start to finish with 2 ring spanners

nice easy access on that series of engines(y)

you won't do a JTD in Half an hour(n) half a day more like..:rolleyes:

Charlie

I would test the glow plugs with an ohm meter before replacing them, resistance should be below 6 ohms, it could be as little as 1 ohm or even less.
High resistance or infinite resistance indicates a bad plug.

If you do end up replacing them, be sure to test the new plugs before installation.

that 6 ohms resistance is that the same for all glow plugs as i hhave a GP 1.9 mjet n my lights flashing

Back